New Bike :-) Sore Hands :-(

jacksonrj
jacksonrj Posts: 31
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hi

Got a new orange 5 am with fox 36 talas 160s, easton haven bars, thomson stem, and the bike is ripping hell out of my hands. The palms of my hands are on fire after a half hour or so of riding. Ive got 2 other bikes (1 ht & 1 fs) which are fine on my mits. Have tried 3 different pairs of grips but same issue. Will upgrade my gloves at some stage, but was wondering if others have suffered this issue and what theyve done to rectify it?

Cheers
Orange Five AM
Cube AMS 100
GT Avalanche Expert

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Riding position? Do you have more weight on your hands on this bike? Are levers comfortable?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    What's the reach like compared to the other bikes you have? Sounds like you have too much weight on your hands.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Leavers are ok. The 5 is 3cm longer from center of seatpost to center of bars. The seat is same height from the floor. The talas at 120 makes the bars 1cm higher, and the talas at 160 makes it around 8cm higher than my other fs.
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • Have you tried rotating the bars foward, sometimes risers can cause problems.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I had this when I changed from a 100mm ot 150mm hardtail (rebas and Revelations respectively). I lowered the PSI by about 5 and that seemed to sort it. Maybe it was the forks bedding in too, getting more supple for the small bumps?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yes have lowered psi down from 55 to 45 and it was better. Maybe it will improve as the forks wear in
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • Ironically, I changed bars and stem on my FS and had a similar experience. I played around with the bar position and found rotating it back slightly stopped the problem. It sounds like it could just be a set up issue as others have mentioned.
  • jacksonrj wrote:
    Yes have lowered psi down from 55 to 45 and it was better. Maybe it will improve as the forks wear in
    What tyre width? I run 2.35 highrollers and run them at around 25-30 psi. 45 seems high if you're off road
  • Sorry the 45 psi was for the talas. My maxis are at 2.5bar which is 36psi so i could try deflating them a touch. I'll try rotating the bars as well, cheers
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • No probs, thought it sounded high :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I would suggest moving everything you can get your hands on before buying something new - have a look at a "generic bike set up" website and maybe try starting from scratch again putting everything in a Neutral setting - if not you can always go back.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • One tip that seemed to work for me is putting the end of your elbow against the tip of the saddle. The "general" rule is that your finger tips should end up in the middle of your stem. For my HT this is spot on. For my FS my seat is a touch further forward to allow more room when I'm off the back of the saddle

It is only a general rule but might be worth using it as a guide
  • mostly you need to check the height adjustment of your seat some, if you have adjusted for more height then chance is there that you are leaning on it so that you might be getting sore hand. :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Have you considered swapping the bars off one of your other bikes? Will help eliminate things.

Sore hands can also mean bad fork response- poor initial reaction or spiky response to hits both put more stress on your hands. But if your forks are working close to right neither of those should be an issue. New forks or old?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yes new forks/bike. Will also try seat adjustment, cheers chaps
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • Yikes since i weight about ten stone i have a smidge over 20psi in my talas lol
  • Ah ok. Im 12st so will try going even lower, cheers
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert