which integrated headsets fit Cannondale ?

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited September 2011 in Workshop
I've been searching the net for hours trying to find an integrated drop-in headset for a CAAD9 road frameset without much luck.

I believe it has to be a ACB type which is compatable with Campy and the size needs to be 31.8mm ID

The only two I've found are both out of stock everywhere in the known universe.
Ritchey Comp drop-in and FSA No8 B
Need something around 20 quid if poss

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ACB = Angular Contact Bearing

31.8mm diameter would suggest it's the Campagnolo pattern 45x45 degree.

You can download the headset technical guide from the FSA website which has the key dimensions
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • peanut
    thanks Monty ...bloomin acronyms! :roll:

Headset specs have become a complete nightmare haven't they :wink:

Most retailers don't even bother to state sizes of the bearings etc which makes it doubly difficult.

Every headset I selected is currently out of stock everywhere. I ordered a Ritchey Comp drop-in headset from Wiggle and as I processed the payment my headset dissapeared from my basket ! :shock: Someone had nicked the last one in stock from my basket as I was paying for it.! grrrrr
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    99% certain that Cannondae use Campag spec headsets, as Monty says 45 x 45 degree

If the bearings are knackered, why not just buy new bearing, you don't need a compete headset

Look here:

http://www.dotbike.com/p/5544
  • peanut
    proto wrote:
    99% certain that Cannondae use Campag spec headsets, as Monty says 45 x 45 degree

If the bearings are knackered, why not just buy new bearing, you don't need a compete headset

Look here:

http://www.dotbike.com/p/5544

thats the reason why I posted this because I don't know which bearings are used or what to order.I just bought a frame that came with an incomplete headset.

Bearings on their own are as much as £10.00 each ! which is more than the cost of a complete headset.

The only bit of the existing headset I am missing is the crown race
  • You can get very cheap alpina headsets from ribble. They do 36 x 45 and 45x45 and use a split crown race which I prefer.
  • peanut
    are they fully integrated headets with campy compatable bearings though ? I saw the Alpina headsets on Ribble but none looked compatable ?
  • It's what I've fitted to ribble and other italian bikes I've had in the shop. 45 x 45 alpina intergrated headset.

36 x 45 and 45 x 45 look the same until you sit a 36 x 45 in a 45 x 45 headtube and it just moves around lots.
  • peanut
    yeah I saw a thread once of someone who had used a 36 degree crown race with a 45 degree bearing and wondered why the two didn't sit together right.

:roll:
    I've just bought a cannondale fork off fleabay which has a headset included so hopefully I'm sorted now. Thanks for your help Jonnny