TTing advice

free
free Posts: 567
edited September 2011 in Amateur race
Guys,

After spending the best part of a year deliberating I've decided that Time Trials is something I really want to do.

I've spent most of this summer on my road bike and have made my own 10 mile route and have been timing myself, pushing my fitness and intend to spend the winter really focusing my training.

Anyway, as a complete newbie to TT I just wanted some general advice on getting started. Obviously I need to join a club and enter their club races - my nearest is the Towcester A5 Ranger who have TT's on a Wednesday evening during the summer.

As I intend to lay down some cash on a decent spec TT bike and kit I don't just want to enter small club runs (at least not long term) so really wanted to know what system existed for bigger TT events. What can you enter, where should I look to find out about meetings? What is the championship system (Regionals then Nationals?).
If you join a club are you automatically affiliated and then eligible to enter bigger events?

I realise I'm probably getting ahead of myself but as I do want to invest in TTing I'd like to be sure that there is something more out there other than just small club runs otherwise I don't see the investment as being worth it.
Think first.
Then act.
That\'s it.
My 3 point plan.
A.partridge. 1997.

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    http://ctt.org.uk/

You need to be a member of a CTT affiliated club to ride CTT events.
  • I'd join your local club and do some of their evening 10's first, although it is the end of the season for those now i should think. There are also open events you can enter at weekends too.

When i first did TT racing I just put clip on TT bars on my road bike to get a feel for it. I wouldn't go out and spend loads on a dedicated TT bike first unless you can afford to.

good luck!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • free
    free Posts: 567
    Thanks guys. Helpful info.

I actually got some Aero bars for my road bike but it completely unbalanced my bike and I hated it so ended up taking them back.

Thankfully I managed to try out a proper TT bike and absolutely loved it.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You have various types of events you can enter as a member of a CTT affliated club.

Club Events - Normally run in the evening, and alot of them you would not need to be a member of that club, though some do have restrictions based on numbers able to run, or if the course is a "quick" course.

Open Events - These are open to all riders from affliated clubs, these have to be entered in advance and the "quick" course where the organisor may get over the 120/150 maximum, then entry is selected on times at that distance. Normal closing date is 10 day prior to the event, and you would need to buy the CTT Handbook to get entry details.

National Events - These again are open to all riders from affliated clubs, and entry is selected from you best time at the distance since Jan the previous year. The shorter events normally fill up, so you may or may not get in. Again you need the CTT Handbook for entry details.

There are other events which are association events or VTTA events, normally there are restrictions on these, either by your club being within an association, or yourself being a vet (over 40), though not all VTTA events are restricted, again you need the handbook to see what restrictions there are.

Best place to start are club events, very informal, are entry on the line, and only a couple of quid. Start on your road bike, and see how you like it, talk to a few memebrs of the club and no doubt they will assist you with how to enter open events, as mentioned above open events tend to be at weekends.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    SBezza wrote:
    You have various types of events you can enter as a member of a CTT affliated club.

Club Events - Normally run in the evening, and alot of them you would not need to be a member of that club, though some do have restrictions based on numbers able to run, or if the course is a "quick" course.

Open Events - These are open to all riders from affliated clubs, these have to be entered in advance and the "quick" course where the organisor may get over the 120/150 maximum, then entry is selected on times at that distance. Normal closing date is 10 day prior to the event, and you would need to buy the CTT Handbook to get entry details.

National Events - These again are open to all riders from affliated clubs, and entry is selected from you best time at the distance since Jan the previous year. The shorter events normally fill up, so you may or may not get in. Again you need the CTT Handbook for entry details.

There are other events which are association events or VTTA events, normally there are restrictions on these, either by your club being within an association, or yourself being a vet (over 40), though not all VTTA events are restricted, again you need the handbook to see what restrictions there are.

Best place to start are club events, very informal, are entry on the line, and only a couple of quid. Start on your road bike, and see how you like it, talk to a few memebrs of the club and no doubt they will assist you with how to enter open events, as mentioned above open events tend to be at weekends.

^ Brilliant advice, that is pretty much all you need to know.

It's a bit daunting at first, but you'll soon get the hang of ins and outs of it.
  • There is also the National Rudy Project TT Series.

These are run on circuit courses, are usually a little lumpier and involve a few more corners than the usual out and back TT course.

These don't tend to fill up, so are a good way of doing a 'National' event, and there are also loads of different categories as well
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!