Waterloo to Herne Hill velodrome

mickybhoy
mickybhoy Posts: 19
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
I need to get to Herne Hill this Friday after work, as it's the last Youth training session.
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get there via Waterloo ?
I would rather avoid Elephant and Castle if at all possible.

Comments

• You could go across and then through Borough and then down OKR... I think there's a CSH that cuts across the top of E&C... Can't work out which one it is though
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks, Headhunter.
    I think that is the only tricky part - dodging E&C. Think I'll head for St George's circus and cut off just before E&C, then criss-cross roads till I get to the A215.

Once I'm on the A215, it's a straight road all the way.

Incidentally, I didn't realise it was that close, about 7 miles I think ? I come in from Eltham each day (about 15 miles) and so I thought HH was around 10 - 12 miles from Holborn, where I work.
  • mickybhoy wrote:
    Thanks, Headhunter.
    I think that is the only tricky part - dodging E&C. Think I'll head for St George's circus and cut off just before E&C, then criss-cross roads till I get to the A215.

Once I'm on the A215, it's a straight road all the way.

Incidentally, I didn't realise it was that close, about 7 miles I think ? I come in from Eltham each day (about 15 miles) and so I thought HH was around 10 - 12 miles from Holborn, where I work.

Nah Dulwich is probably under 7 miles from Holborn. I ride from Chancery Lane to Brockley every day and that's only just over 6 miles and Brockley is further east...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Pgd
    Pgd Posts: 3
    I used to commute from West Norwood over Waterloo Bridge to Holborn, and I can recommend Baylis Rd --> Kennington Rd --> Brixton Rd as a smooth fast route to Brixton. Whether the extra distance eastwards to get from there to the Velodrome would cancel out, though, is another matter. You could maybe cut across from Brixton Road using Loughborough Rd --> Hinton Rd --> Milkwood Rd? To be fair I've never cycled the A215, but driving through Walworth & Camberwell is always a hassle and I can't imagine it's much fun on a bike.
  • Pgd wrote:
    I used to commute from West Norwood over Waterloo Bridge to Holborn, and I can recommend Baylis Rd --> Kennington Rd --> Brixton Rd as a smooth fast route to Brixton. Whether the extra distance eastwards to get from there to the Velodrome would cancel out, though, is another matter. You could maybe cut across from Brixton Road using Loughborough Rd --> Hinton Rd --> Milkwood Rd? To be fair I've never cycled the A215, but driving through Walworth & Camberwell is always a hassle and I can't imagine it's much fun on a bike.

This is actually more or less my route home. I would push on past Loughborough road, through Brixton turn left into atlantic road then railton road to herne hill taking a left into half moon lane and any of the right hand turns to the Velodrome. Its a lovely ride up Brixton road too, bus lanes and newly laid tarmac too.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I'm going to break with tradition and actually listen to the advice from other people for once.
    Brixton it is, then, down to HH station and into Half Moon Lane from there.
    Should be a breeze in this lovely weather.
    Safe cycling, everyone.
  • Good advice, guys. I stuck to my guns and did what you suggested.
    Less than half an hour, door-to-door.
    The A23 choice was ideal. Lots of new surface, like you said. Nice and quiet along Atlantic and Railton too.You just have to be careful getting into the correct lane for turning into Half Moon Lane.
    Cheers.