BB question

rudyardmtb
rudyardmtb Posts: 54
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Out of curiosity how long should a BB last on a road bike? i know that there are no hard or fast rules but think i may end up having a disagreement today so just after a rough estimate.

Cheers

Comments

• I've got my original Super Record BB on my vintage, that's 27 years old, same as the bike... still immaculate, but those were exceptional products

A modern Hollowtech, if regularly cleaned and serviced, might last 4-5 years... of course less for heavy mileage (e.g. > 5000 miles per year)... but that's a cheap product and easy to replace

A badly installed BB can last as little as a thousand miles
    left the forum March 2023
  • My Truvativ Giga X pipe BB - to much astonishment, has lasted 4 years and thats having used it in Winter and Summer riding from an intermediate level commuter - i.e commute about 12 miles each way 4 times a week. A serious mileage would have probable knackered it after 18 months. It is a sealed "non serviceable" BB and has really bad reviews.

Again depends on if its been looked after and bike usage/weather etc.

Its a question i'm pondering myself as looking for a new one. Cheers hope that helps.
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • My Shimano 105 Octalink is still going strong after about 22,000 miles.
  • Guess it also depends on the type and quality of the BB. I have just had to replace my sealed unit one after 1500 miles after a 100 miler in the wet left it barely rotating.. and I am meticulous at cleaning and servicing the bike pretty much after every ride... I have bought a replacement to get me through the winter but also taken the chance to move away from Square Tapered Cranks with Sealed Unit BB to an SRAM Crankset with GXP BB.