My seat post keeps dropping

p44cmb
p44cmb Posts: 124
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Evening all,

Am getting a little frustrated as my seat post drops about an inch after every few rides. I only weigh 10 stone so it's certainly not being a salad dodging fat git that is causing it.

The post is secured with a quick release clamp that I have done up as tight as is possible to try to fix the problem. When I say tight I mean I can barely get the damn thing to close fully.

One obvious solution would be to use a bolt type clamp but then I would lose the ability to adjust my seat height easily without tools when the need arises when tackling the local trails.

There is not an abundance of grease on the post as I have cleaned it up with some isopropyl and obviously a small about of lubricant is going to be required to adjust the seat height when required.

Has anyone had a smilier issue and come up with a fix? or any bright ideas gratefully received.

Just in case it is relevant.... it is a Scape Varioclose clamp as supplied with the Cube Ltd team 2011 bike.

Comments

• I had same problem when I first got my cube, eventually I changed to a hope clamp and that solved the problem.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Thanks for that. Starting point will be to try another clamp then. I never had this issue with my Spesh so will see if that one fits the Cube and if not then its an excuse to buy a Hope one :-)
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    You sure it is the correct sized post for the frame?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I think I've just fixed this problem on my bike.

I've been riding around for ages with a slipping post, and the clamp seemed to go from "not tight enough" to "impossible to close" with about one micron of adjustment.

I tried degreasing the seatpost - no better.

Then I tried degreasing the seatpost AND lubricating the clamp.

To my embarrassment, this appears to have fixed the problem. The clamp now closes more easily and applies more force.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Had the same problem with my Cube hardtail. Although I am, according to you, a salad dodging fat git ;)

I bought one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40540

No issues since and much cheaper than a hope one.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i can sell you a Hope one for £10 posted :)

Silver, 34.9.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i have the same problem but my post drops 5 inches although it springs back up to normal height at the touch of the bar mounted remote lever. but on a serious note ,the best solution bar none for this problem ive ever found is this little beauty. worth every penny and looks good too. if they have it in your size your laughing.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-6061-T ... 2eb7b17582
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    and in my experience the hope seat clamps are crap. the old style was to narrow and the new one has an alu bolt that likes to snap if any serious torque is applied, they look nice but there are much better options .
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    sorry didnt read your original post properly ,if you need a very secure qr then this will do the trick
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=413
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti