always got tired legs

2»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Also, have you considered that you might possibly be gay?

Try saying that to Graeme Obree and see how far it gets you, can you get more stupid??
  • Paul E wrote:

Try saying that to Graeme Obree and see how far it gets you, can you get more stupid??

Hey, nothing against you homosexual lads Paul. I was merely intrigued to see whether the OP had ever questioned his sexuality. Some of my best friends are practicing gayers.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Paul E wrote:

Hey, nothing against you homosexual lads Paul. I was merely intrigued to see whether the OP had ever questioned his sexuality. Some of my best friends are practicing gayers.

Are you P_Tuckers younger brother?
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Hay jonny slack pants, maybe you should question your own sexuality you seem to go on about it a bit.
    Be sides if I was guy it still wouldn't stop me competing in the mma, and I use the bike for stamina. You c--k.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I think you may have written the answer yourself, you gotta eat to ride, the dull ache and lack of energy in your legs are probably a combination of lactic acid and glycogen defiency in your muscles.

Try eating earlier before your rides, even just a banana and a cereal bar is better than nothing, or try making a smoothy with oats, banana, milk and some honey.

When you finish your ride have some sort of recovery drink, theres plenty on the market or you can just by bulk maltodextrin and whey protein, use a ratio of 3:1 carbs/protein or even a pint or two of skimmed milk.

Make sure you stretch after rides, hamstrings, glutes and lower back especially.

Sleep well, and don't go heavy at the gym on your legs, lower weight higher reps and less frequency helped in my experience.

Make sure your evening meal has a protein source, most recovery occurs when your asleep, and your body will need the protein. The supplement ZMA could help, but i wouldn't bother unless you've tried all the above and still feeling the same.

Hope that helps a bit.

@ The_spooks, yes was just referring to the potential lack of protein.
  • patombr wrote:
    Hay jonny slack pants, maybe you should question your own sexuality you seem to go on about it a bit.
    Be sides if I was guy it still wouldn't stop me competing in the mma, and I use the bike for stamina. You c--k.

Oh lighten up you silly, little man. I'm sure you are extremely manly grappling with your semi-naked mixed martial arts buddies on the floor and are not even remotely gay. As someone pointed out above, my silly comment was just another jokey version of MTFU. If you look back through the replies once more you will see that I have twice left you positive, considered thoughts and only now do you make the effort to respond. It's not just me, either: so many people have spent their time offering you their wisdom and the only time you bother to respond is when someone makes a childish joke about your sexuality.
  • Maxumo
    Maxumo Posts: 8
    I'm getting really bad lactic acid build up in my thighs within the the first mile or 2

I used to play ice hockey so my legs are fairly used to being used

Do you think my set up could be wrong?
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Maxumo wrote:
    I'm getting really bad lactic acid build up in my thighs within the the first mile or 2

I used to play ice hockey so my legs are fairly used to being used

Do you think my set up could be wrong?

perhaps the bad chemicals are in there already combined with some muscle tightness... hows about getting a sports massage from top to toe. free all those muscles up a tad.
  • patombr
    patombr Posts: 22
    Noclue
    Many thanks for the advice. Bought the protein shake and will increase the milk intake. Went out today but the legs still feeling tired not sure if I've gone the otherway now and reduced the miles too much.
  • RowCycle wrote:
    I don't buy all this macho crap about can't be overtraining based on amount of training time/mileage.

Sounds like the OP has initial signs of overtraining, even if mild. Could be poor diet, stress, poor sleep, sudden change of training, trying to increase muscle too quickly, increasing training too quickly, training whilst ill...

I'd suggest the OP needs a few weeks off. I say this as someone who (not through cycling) has done this also (twice actually). My advice would be take a few weeks off, maybe a few more, return refreshed.

It's easier to say than do. Even though I know it, hasn't stopped me falling into the trap again.

Weeks! WTF? She is feelin a bit worn out, not trying to recover from heart surgery.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I went through the overly sore legs a couple of years ago. I was spent in 2012 into 2013 after year in year out on the bike - I took 2014 off the bike. Started riding again in 2015 -hitting 1500 steady miles and now at 3000 steady miles for 2016. A foam roller, of which I am now a massive fan transformed my legs and my quads. I roll every night, when my partner is getting ready for bed. I will never over stress how great a foam roller from Argos for £10 changed my outlook and leg fatigue. Also buy a set of compression socks.

One thing to note, is that your legs may will simply just be tired from work. I stand up much like you and it does have an impact on cycling ability. If you stand up for a living, I think that it can have an impact. Also, make sure you are hitting your BMR if you are not looking to loose weight. You may simply not be eating enough. Hope you feel better soon. I am at peace with my riding and now I am only an average bike rider at best, but at 45 years old, fitter and stronger than kids half my age.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Weeks! WTF? She is feelin a bit worn out, not trying to recover from heart surgery.

Impressive (albeit rather pointless) thread revival...
  • Mods have removed the spam that revived this 5 year old thread.

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mods have removed the spam that revived this 5 year old thread.

HTH

Ah, ok - top modding then ;)
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    patombr wrote:
    i suffer with no fire in the thighs, but a very dull ache, theres just nothing in them when trying a up the pace.

My normal diet a day consists of, taost and cereal in morning, sandwichs at dinner and then a meal at tea time, sometimes have cereal for supper.
    Im not sure if im eating too much or not enough.

Can i just say i cant eat anything before a ride it gives me stitch.

cheers.

If you cut some of that bread/cereal out of your diet you'll lose a lot of weight and your speed will increase.

I moved from a similar high carb diet to yours, to eggs and porridge with topped with panela for breakfast, salad for lunch, and beef/pork/chicken or fish, sweet potato with green and root vegetables for an evening meal.

A few years ago I weighed 11.5 stone, I now hover around the 10 stone mark. My riding time has been similar throughout, just my diet has changed.
  • I agree - good to look at cand and also your seat position and technique - I found reading up on this increased my pace without getting more tired. I also read that doing smaller distances and building pace is better so why not try 10-12 mile circuits instead of taking a break altogether.

I struggle with the thought of riding in a club group - they all seem unhealthily competitive and it's just not for me (I am asmatic and struggle with pace) good luck
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    fromeflyer wrote:
    I struggle with the thought of riding in a club group - they all seem unhealthily competitive and it's just not for me (I am asmatic and struggle with pace) good luck

If your asthma is limiting your cycling, you need to get your treatment reviewed. On the right medication you should be asymptomatic, at which point keeping up on group rides is just about fitness. If you're not on regular combination prophylaxis - say Symbicort or Serevent - then you should be; you should also ask about Montelukast (aka Singulair).

ps I know this is an ancient thread resurrected, but Fromeflyer's comment is recent