Front bike light flashing mode

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
I'm after buying a new front bike light, in the £10 to £20 range. As a car driver, I've noticed that lots of cyclists have their front lights set on "pulse", sending out bursts of brighter light, at intervals across a continuous stream of light (i.e. it is not flashing on and off, but on and brighter). Is this what the manufacturers describe as "flashing" mode? And what is is like to ride by? Presumably on lit roads, it is not a distraction, but on unlit roads you would need to switch to continuous light? And can anyone recommend a decent front light in that price range? Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    £10-20 will get you something that makes you visible, but not bright enough to light an unlit road IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    £10-20 will get you something that makes you visible, but not bright enough to light an unlit road IME.
    Thanks Monty. Yes, I already have a "proper" front light Cateye EL500 but am now looking for something for my son when he is riding on lit town roads.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    For £20 the Cateye EL135 is pretty good for being noticed. It is not on/flash brighter but on/off and good to be seen by in towns. On club runs in the deep dark cotswolds I use the 610 (Sure shot plus) and the 135 as backup since I have got home by it on steady before but not at a decent speed and it still felt like riding by the seat of my pants.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Planet-X doing half-price on Smart lights - Smart Lunar 35 for £23 is about as good as you can get for the money.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Planet-X doing half-price on Smart lights - Smart Lunar 35 for £23 is about as good as you can get for the money.

Good enough for unlit country lane cycling? Or just for lit-roads?