Cannondale CAADX Mudguards please?

sophidog
sophidog Posts: 180
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
well, i went and clicked the Place Order button in a semi-drunken stupor (it looked a steal at £780) and I've just got an email saying that Evans have shipped the bike. Thing is I'm wanting to use it for winter commuting; is there anyone out there who's already fitted mudguards, and maybe panniers, to one of these. Looking for something that suits the look of the bike and doesn't entail any major mods to fit. Any advice greatly appreciated. Getting excited already!
Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Can't offer advice on mudguards but good choice of bike, was considering one myself along with the Fuji Cross which looks amazing spec for the price. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    a friend has a caadx and it has mudguard eyelets and rack mounts on the seat stays so no major modding should be required.

As for guard choice, I would go with some full SKS cromoplastic guards in black - if you're keeping the stock tyres you'll need the wide P45, or if you're fitting narrower road tyres the P35.

The only thing you may need to do is drill a 5mm diam. hole in the guard to fit it to the seatstay bridge, it has a threaded bolt on the underside which you can use instead of the clip on fixing that comes with the guard - much neater.
  • gadgets
    gadgets Posts: 100
    jomoj wrote:
    As for guard choice, I would go with some full SKS cromoplastic guards in black - if you're keeping the stock tyres you'll need the wide P45, or if you're fitting narrower road tyres the P35.

+1 I have the CAADX and had the bike shop fit the SKS cromoplastic guards. no rattle and looks good on the bike.
    Synapse Disc 3 Ultegra '14/CAADX 5 105 '11
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    thanks for the replies, the SKS is the way to go then. Been out this am to try the bike out; a couple of tweeks to the handlebars and it feels good now. Have swapped the saddle for my Brookes B17 off the old bike & I'm happy now apart from one small problem. When i view the bike from the front the brake yoke seems off-centre (the bit at the Y junction). There looks to be a screw on the end of the left-hand side of the Y wire. I take it that a quick undo and tweak here will suffice?
    That apart, this bike is just sooo different from my 11 year old Fuji mountain bike!
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • gadgets
    gadgets Posts: 100
    my first impression when I picked up my CAADX was how beautiful the frame was, the weld was so smooth. This was my first Cannondale.

next thing was notice how light it was compared to my Orange G3 hardtail MTB. riding the bike made the hills that I struggled with on the MTB a breeze.

have fun with your new bike :)
    Synapse Disc 3 Ultegra '14/CAADX 5 105 '11