Revolights - these look pretty good

squeeler
squeeler Posts: 144
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I spotted these while browsing the net:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revolights/revolights-join-the-revolution

I thought they looked quite cool. The lights stay in position when your wheel is spinning:
6110052617_77769e8903_b.jpg
6164098455_861b2d34b9_b.jpg

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Why are posts about this appearing all over the place?
    BACKERS
    $209,834
    PLEDGED OF $43,500 GOAL
    HOUR TO GO
    THIS PROJECT WILL BE FUNDED ON TUESDAY SEP 27, 12:52PM EDT.

Ah I see.

It looks pretty awesome, but its a bit overengineered and expensive. I see it as something else to potentially rattle and come loose, or to get in the way when cleaning my bike.
  • I've no connection with it, someone at work mentioned it as I "was into bikes" so I had a look.

"It looks pretty awesome, but its a bit overengineered and expensive. I see it as something else to potentially rattle and come loose, or to get in the way when cleaning my bike."

-I agree but it's an innovative idea none the less
  • Ummm.... while they look cool, this line has me perplexed:
    Currently no product on the market provides both lighting and sighting at a functionally high level. Our solution, the Revolights bike lighting system, is a double threat. It represents the first fully functional lighting and sighting solution; more specifically, the first solution based on a spoke/rim/hub mounted design.

wouldn't a set of fecking bright lights like say a Hope Vision 2 or 4 fit that bill?

I could swear my front lights allow me to see very well down unlit country lanes and they sure as hell get me noticed!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ummm.... while they look cool, this line has me perplexed:
    Currently no product on the market provides both lighting and sighting at a functionally high level. Our solution, the Revolights bike lighting system, is a double threat. It represents the first fully functional lighting and sighting solution; more specifically, the first solution based on a spoke/rim/hub mounted design.

wouldn't a set of fecking bright lights like say a Hope Vision 2 or 4 fit that bill?

I could swear my front lights allow me to see very well down unlit country lanes and they sure as hell get me noticed!

Shite at side-on "sighting", though.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ummm.... while they look cool, this line has me perplexed:

Shite at side-on "sighting", though.

A few cheap LEDs and those £4 spoke reflectors takes care of that though.

It's not a bad idea for city commuters, but is there anything that shows how visible they are from the back?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    It looks pretty cool, but a bit too bulky/cumbersome to be practical for a daily commute - will it remain reliable through a harsh winter? Also not bright enough for unlit roads so you'd have to supplement it with a brighter bar mounted light.

If it retailed at £50 I could be interested, but I suspect that it'll be about 3 times that if/when it makes it to market.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,656
    edited September 2011
    @ bails87: Is that not what the second photo shows?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Looks more gimmicky than practical

Clip-on = easily stolen or requires lashing with cable ties.
    Minimal fore & aft beams = requires normal lighting to supplement in many situations
    Battery pack on hub = awkward fixing & detaching for recharge
    Rotating mass = inefficient
    Controller for speed-controlled switching = another point of failure

I give it 6 hipsters.
  • You can get valve caps with lights in that don't have a too dissimilar effect as these, and they weigh much less and are a damn site cheaper!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I like t. If it can become very lightweight and easy clip on and off. It would be be cool.

I'd want the light to go all around the light so I can pretend to be in Tron!
  • How do they work with mudguards?

Even less clearance? Light gets hidden?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    MonkeyLectric are also on Kickstarter, trying to fund a new version of the MonkeyLights.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/min ... r-bicycles

I heart my MonkeyLights. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rjsterry wrote:
    @ bails87: Is that not what the second photo shows?

Ah, I was at work and the images were blocked. :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."