Bikes with mirrors....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Seen a few 'full on' commuters with mirrors. Either a dentist mirror attached to their lid or a handlebar mirror.

Question is; do they actually work?

The guy I flew past today did not seem to know I was coming up fast from behind....*ahem*

** I defined 'full on' commuters as people who are completely flourescent, ride an upright bike, have panniers and are beyond the measure of 'safe' that is acceptable in society - you know the really slow and safe ones.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    They may work.

I find, however, that a shoulder-check informs road-users behind you that you are comtemplating deviating from a straight line ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Might be useful for quick glances whilst cruising along, but I wouldn't undertake any maneouvres based on what I saw in a tiny mirror - I'd still prefer the shoulder-check for the reasons stated above.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I had a mirror on my bike for the last few months I commuted the whole way, really handy for an indication that there is something there but not as good as car mirrors due to vibrations.
    Does save a shoulder check if you can see straight away that there is something there, but most definitely not a replacement for one.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    By the sound of some of the chat on here, surely it's there just to let you listen to music as loud as possible.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I like.the dentist mirror.idea.

Pretty sure I've got a couple knocking around somewhere. Guess I'd have to wear a lid though...... Drat.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    I am very much a shoulder check person - have a good old look and it indicates your intentions to everyone else.

I could not do mirrors on a bike, could not live without them in a car though!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a mirror on my bike. Only good over smooth roads, otherwise the shaving cuts are a nightmare.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I have used a bar-end mirror while commuting, and found that it comes in quite handy on the road for letting me know there's something there. You just have to bear in mind that it doesn't give you the complete picture, that's all. Off road it's pointless.

One of my pet hates is the combination of all-over fluorescent gear, helmet and slowly wobbling along on the pavement!!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Mirrors on bikes? That'll be the commuting Mods?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • SimonAH
    A dentist size mirror attached to your bash hat makes way more sense than a bike mounted mirror. Far lower mass and attached to the top of a great big vibration isolating mechanism (aka your neck) means that vibration blur should be pretty much eliminated. Also of course it won't stick out and get in the way of filtering like a bar-end elbow monitor would.

Disadvantages? Head angle dependant. Get down on the drops and you'll only be able to see the top windows of tailgating double deckers I would have thought......

Are these DIY helmet installations? Or is someone marketing lid-mounted mirrors?

In one incarnation of my motorcycle I used small wide angle (quite convex) mirrors that worked a treat even though they were unusually located.

CIMG0433.jpg

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Giraffoto wrote:
    One of my pet hates is the combination of all-over fluorescent gear, helmet and slowly wobbling along on the pavement!!

How many times do I have to apologise for that? I had to start somewhere :(
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    JonGinge wrote:
    They may work.

I find, however, that a shoulder-check informs road-users behind you that you are comtemplating deviating from a straight line ;)

What he said. :!:
  • I think cars have mirrors simply because it's impractical and impossible for someone sat in a steel/glass shell, relatively low to the ground to do a shoulder check and get a decent view of the road. Similarly motorcyclists have their heads wrapped in a big metal case so also have a more limited view.

Cyclists have a far better, elevated view of the road than any other road user and don't need mirrors because a shoulder check gives a far better view of the road behind.

Mirrors are pointless unless you are so inexperienced that you can't ride forwards and look behind at the same time without crashing...

I see them occasionally on bikes in London. I saw my 1st cyclist with orange indicator lights a few weeks ago!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    They may work.

What he said. :!:

+2 A shoulder-check before moving out to avoid an obstacle informs cars behind you that you know they're there. And oddly enough, I find that this stops them from sneaking up on you and trying to attempt dangerous overtakes.
  • When I got back into cycling a few years ago I was geek tastic too - although I've never gone as far as the full on canary outfit - and even found myself buying this at the Cycle Show... http://www.bike-eye.com/about.html

Not wanting to give away my 'learner' credentials it fit the bill as it was discreet. However, I only used it for a day or two before I manned up and saw the error of my ways.

I'm so glad I got that off my chest. I feel free again. Thank you for listening.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Ride hard wrote:
    When I got back into cycling a few years ago I was geek tastic too - although I've never gone as far as the full on canary outfit - and even found myself buying this at the Cycle Show... http://www.bike-eye.com/about.html

Not wanting to give away my 'learner' credentials it fit the bill as it was discreet. However, I only used it for a day or two before I manned up and saw the error of my ways.

I'm so glad I got that off my chest. I feel free again. Thank you for listening.

There is a an on my commute that has one of those. He also rides a 1980's steel tourer with downtube shifters that I guess he's owned from new and used heavily since then.

I think he uses the mirror for SCR, to let him pootle where he can, yet avoid giving away his scalp.
  • SimonAH
    Actually folks, although I'll +lots on the value of shoulder.checks I'd also value the.flick of an eyeball awareness of what's behind me that a mirror gives.

Example

Today.

Approaching a mini r'bout at speed, where I wish to turn right. Shoulder check at around 20m, clear behind. Concentrate on some very pour tarmac, shoulder check again, find a car up my ar'se. Would have been too easy if not fully on the ball to just drift into position and potentially have a nasty.

• jimmypippa wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    When I got back into cycling a few years ago I was geek tastic too - although I've never gone as far as the full on canary outfit - and even found myself buying this at the Cycle Show... http://www.bike-eye.com/about.html

There is a an on my commute that has one of those. He also rides a 1980's steel tourer with downtube shifters that I guess he's owned from new and used heavily since then.

I think he uses the mirror for SCR, to let him pootle where he can, yet avoid giving away his scalp.

I'm probably underplaying how good this mirror was as a quick glance would give you an excellent view of what's behind. It used one of those clever mirrors that condensed alot into one space. The two problems I had with it is if you're pedalling - and not freewheeling - my leg was constantly in the way. Also its probably not wise to keep looking down at the ground!! A slight design flaw methinks.

Downtube shifters. Love it!
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Ride hard wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

I'm probably underplaying how good this mirror was as a quick glance would give you an excellent view of what's behind. It used one of those clever mirrors that condensed alot into one space. The two problems I had with it is if you're pedalling - and not freewheeling - my leg was constantly in the way. Also its probably not wise to keep looking down at the ground!! A slight design flaw methinks.

Downtube shifters. Love it!

To quote from the SCR thread
    Its basically pointless with all the traffic and when the roads do open up a bit all the shiny carbon roadies turn off at Putney, you get a few characters in RP and then heading down to Surrey you just see skinny old men on steel tourers... and I aint going anywhere near one of those guys; it will only end in tears and humiliation.
  • I saw a guy with one on the down tube. Seemed discrete, but yeah, a shoulder check communicates, a mirror glance doesn't.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • To answer the OP ANY mirror is only as good as the person (not) looking in it.

To those disparaging them: Try riding after a serious neck injury and with rotational issues.

Mirrors are a godsend to me. Yes I still shoulder check before a manouvre but Simon is right, not only do I know from ages away what I'll see when I do but you also get that flick of movement in the peripheral vision without taking my eyes off the road in front.

mirrors on sticks are worse than useless, ones that plug into the bars are the best and do not vibrate. the Zefal dooback is especially brilliant foldable and a very good size, nut not for drops.

for these a Zefal spy or a sprintech bar plug work best.

I could never figure out how a frame mounted mirror (bike eye style) would work, theres too much body in the way unless you cycle like John Wayne walked with knees as far apart as possible.
  • I've wondered whether a small mirror might help me in the dark on single track roads. With the combination of wind noise and a Buff stopping my ears freezing, I sometimes don't hear cars approaching until they are on my tail. They are sufficiently infrequent (1 or 2 a week) that it's not worth my while keeping looking back. That said, it's only so I could stop in a passing spot in anticipation so it's not a big deal.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I saw a guy with one on the down tube. Seemed discrete, but yeah, a shoulder check communicates, a mirror glance doesn't.

Possible one of these.

http://www.bike-eye.com/

Invented by a club mate of mine.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    MarcBC wrote:
    I saw a guy with one on the down tube. Seemed discrete, but yeah, a shoulder check communicates, a mirror glance doesn't.

Possible one of these.

http://www.bike-eye.com/

Invented by a club mate of mine.

Hey is that you in the avatar? Niiiceeeee
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:

What is it with you and cycling bears. Thats a niche fetish, right there.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have a bar end one on my bike ever since I was almost T-boned making a left turn. Do they work?
    Of course they work, they're mirrors. How can they not work? For me it's all about a little extra info about what's behind me. Especially before making a turn. Of course, the over the shoulder glance is mandatory to say the least.
  • gtvlusso
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

What is it with you and cycling bears. Thats a niche fetish, right there.

Isn't there a 'sect' for this called 'furbies'??? Scared to look at google, just incase I am right.....