dealing with DX, paypal or creditcard?

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Got question about to order something from DX but unsure about which method is best to pay

should i pay via paypal?
or
pay via credit card ie visa?

And if so do i get charged extra for paying in GBP rather than dollars ie does DX grand total of $44 really mean 44 or does DX/Paypal charge extras ie handling/excharge rates ect

p.s what is BULKRATE orders. theres a option in checkout but have no idea what it means , help be great cheers
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• I used PayPal when I ordered from DX... guess its personal preference really!
  • Given the choice between credit card and PayPal then I think credit card is preferable as it is insured and regulated.

If the choice was between debit card and PayPal then I would go for PayPal as a debit card is the same as giving people full access to your bank account.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    yep - what gilesuk said. Paypal rules are not as good as credit card protection, unless its a small transaction, in which case go with paypal.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    But I'd rather give my paypal address to them than all my CC/DC details.

Didn't someone here get asked to scan the back of their card and send it to them? :S No thanks, just use paypal, for a £30 light it's safer and easier.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use Paypal wherever it's accepted, which is most places now. Never had any problems so I'll keep on until (if) I do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I used my paypal account, would using your credit card through paypal be double protection? I think it's also important to use a unique password for your DX account, definitely don't use the same one as your paypal account!
  • I have had a bad experience with paypal,fortunately on a small transaction.
    I now prefer using a credit card.Even when I`ve had a problem I`ve always had my money back which is more than I can say for paypal.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • interesting .

main issue i wasnt sure on was that the prices are given in dollars so wasnt sure if i would be charged if i used my credit card given this, i asume that what DX says on the bill is what price you pay correct?

still havnt worked out what BULKRATE is anyone know?
  • cooldad
    The rate for buying in bulk?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • diy
    If you buy 3 or more of an item you normally get a discount when you click bulkrate.
  • bails87
    interesting .

main issue i wasnt sure on was that the prices are given in dollars so wasnt sure if i would be charged if i used my credit card given this, i asume that what DX says on the bill is what price you pay correct?

Your credit card may charge you, I don't know. you'd have to look at the T&Cs of your card. With paypal, it'll tell you how much the $ value is in £ before your confirm the payment.
    MTB/CX

• I travel overseas a lot and have always found that any of my credit cards in any country offer surprisingly good exchange rates and debit cards the opposite. The credit card companies have treasury functions that would put a lot of countries to shame.
  • bails87 wrote:
    interesting .

Your credit card may charge you, I don't know. you'd have to look at the T&Cs of your card. With paypal, it'll tell you how much the $ value is in £ before your confirm the payment.

who has actually bought from DX here using credit card/paypal?

hopefully you would know how much the £31.00 t6 costs if using those payment methods, as i dont fancy paying a extra £10+ in hidden charges either to paypal or credit card visa.

once i know the price i see is what i paying for then il buy it but untill i know for sure i going to wait untill somone can confirm this.
  • bails87
    I think almost everyone commenting on this thread has bought from DX. Which means either CC or PP. I've always used Paypal. Paypal has a currency convertor which will tell you how much it'll cost.

I didn't know about this and just used xe.com, $44 came out at £27, through paypal I paid £27. There are NO extra charges for using paypal. You pay what you see.
    MTB/CX

• ^^^^^This^^^^

I ordered a light t6 at the weekend paid through PayPal came out as £29.95 pressed confirm payment button, sit and wait for delivery now. 8) :D
  • diy
    I used my CC, I'm currently up to my paypal limit because I refuse to link my bank account to my paypal account.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    paid by paypal the other day bit it was only for about 8 quid :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't trust PayPal given things I've read about when things go wrong and the fact they're not a proper financial institution that's regulated in the same way.

But I'll pay via PayPal if no option using my Credit Card for protection. Have to ensure it's using the CC and not defaulting to my bank account, despite the messages it keeps popping up about using the bank account is better (it's not, it's the worst protection!).

CC company's have always been excellent in sorting out transactions that go wrong and work in my favour not the seller's.
    If you pay in dollars entirely and no one converts the price to GBP then almost certainly you'll get a foreign transaction fee as there are very few now that don't charge any fees. A few cards do better deals on this. Nationwide used to have no fee/commission but even they've ended up doing the same as the rest. Their rates are on the better side than many though. Even those with no fees will have a loaded exchange rate anyway.

Still, I'll always pay in $ and use the best CC I've got for the fees & rate in preference to letting the likes of PayPal do the conversion at their rate.

If the retailer takes payment in £ as an option then that may be better, but check the amount they show vs converting $ to £ at the current exchange rate + fees.

Worst place for this is abroad where some shops figure you're a tourist and offer £ instead (in US some just charge UK cards in £ automatically unless you say otherwise!), and the exchange rate is horrendous.
  • cooldad
    With Paypal the £ price is shown before you hit the accept button, and that's what you get charged. Nothing else.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, they do the exchange rate for you. 2.5% they add to the wholesale rate.

.5% higher than my Nationwide card, not massive.

Hmm, Halifax have a 0% one at the moment. Looking for a good foreign transaction card. Also looking into pre-pay cards for cash when travelling as these are looking best for no fees and no interest charges.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... y#topcards