Tubeless Rims

Stu Coops
Stu Coops Posts: 426
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

This question has probably been asked before so sorry in advance, I have XT wheels which are tubeless ready and came with Hutchinsons tubeless tyres now the shite weather is back with us can i put on my Panaracer trailrakers PR folds without tubes obviously I would use sealant but would that be possible as the tyres arn't technically UST.
Thanks
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Haven't done it with Trailrakers but most tyres seal up fine... Very few of my tyres are UST or TLR but I've never had one that won't go.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Panaracer are specifically recommended against, the bead just isn't tight enough and they are very prone to blowing off the rims.

Get some Mud Xs or Dirty Dans (the latter are half price on On One currently), they'll seal fine.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I tried tubeless with a Panaracer Fire XC Pro and had loads of problems with it burping. Stick to tubes with non-UST Panaracer tyres.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Cheers Guys thought this might be the case I'll get stick some tubes in
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You can do panaracer tubeless conversions relatively easily, you just need to really pack out the rim.

However on a UST rim they are an absolute pig to get to seal (I've done numerous tubeless conversions with a track pump but on the UST rim i needed to go to a garage for a compressor) Personally I'd save myself the bother and get a mud x