Suggestions for crown mounted bike lights please.

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Looking for a front crown mounted bike light for my girlfriends Raleigh Caprice. She has a wicker basket that hooks over the handlebars so she can't use a conventional bar mounted light at the same time as having her basket on the bike, and a handlebar extension can't be fitted for the same reasons. Struggling to find anything crown mounted...
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I can only think of dynamo-powered lights like the Schmidt Edelux or the IQ Cyo; probably too expensive?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    DesWeller wrote:
    I can only think of dynamo-powered lights like the Schmidt Edelux or the IQ Cyo; probably too expensive?

Yeah a bit, just need something cheap and cheerful for the handful of times she's going to be out when it's dark. Cheers for the suggestions though. If I can't find anything then I'll try to modify an existing bracket somehow...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If she's using a simple flat LED type, then a rack mount would fit the basket and allow the light to be mounted on its front, no good for a torch shape though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If it's got any lowrider mounts on the fork then you can screw a bit of bar to the fork to mount a conventional lamp on.

Although as you say it's pretty trivial to knock something together.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couldn't she mount one on her tiara?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender

This may be able to go onto the stem, allowing her a bar to mount lights to above the basket.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    easiest solution is to cable tie a light to the front of the basket.

If you want something that works when the basket is left at home (other than just having two lights) then next solution I would suggest is to make a bracket out of aluminium (buy 1m strips of it from B&Q of various profiles. Just cut to size, bend at 90degrees, drill holes to either bolt to crown or elsewhere, plus bolt on part of the existing light bracket. Sounds complicated but ten minutes with a drill / hacksaw / file will do the job.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100