Food for extra long commute

phy2sll2
phy2sll2 Posts: 680
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
What's your favourite long ride snacking material?

I'm riding from home (Lewisham) to Marlow (just past Maidenhead) this evening for a three day course. The route I've picked is getting on for 100km so I expect I'll need to do quite a lot of eating along the way!

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    100km is usually 1 banana and 2 flapjacks
    I eat quite a lot when I'm riding
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For 100km I could probably get away with a cliff bar and some SIS in my water bottle.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Noted. Banana and flapjacks. Both sound like classics and freely available in my Londis.

Can anyone comment on the long-range effectiveness of Jelly Babies?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    vorsprung wrote:
    100km is usually 1 banana and 2 flapjacks
    I eat quite a lot when I'm riding

+1 with plenty of water too - 2 of the 'big' water bottles.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Can anyone comment on the long-range effectiveness of Jelly Babies?
    They rock. Far nicer than any of your flashy energy gels, and Sainsburys sell own-brand jelly babies for (IIRC) <40p a packet...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    For 100km I could probably get away with a cliff bar and some SIS in my water bottle.

Tell me more... Where do I find these 'cliff' bars?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Tell me more... Where do I find these 'cliff' bars?

iirc Condor sell them and I'm pretty sure the Evans in London Bridge does

For 100k I'd go with one bottle of water, one of energy drink a few flapjacks and a banana or two. It might seem daunting but in reality it really isn't that far, even the elite athletes with something like 4-5% body fat (ie borderline anorexic) have enough energy stores for 2-3 hours steady riding without any additional nutrition so you won't need as much as you think.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158 wrote:
    It might seem daunting but in reality it really isn't that far, even the elite athletes with something like 4-5% body fat (ie borderline anorexic) have enough energy stores for 2-3 hours steady riding without any additional nutrition so you won't need as much as you think.

SWMBO thought I was completely mad for even considering it and asked me what I was trying to prove! :lol:

I wasn't worried up until that point...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    You'll be fine over that distance. As above, flapjack or energy bar, jelly babies or energy gel, water or energy drink.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo