Bike Nazis - literally

ooermissus
ooermissus Posts: 811
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
The Cycling London blog has a long rant about why we have the most " woefully absent establishment attitude towards cycling infrastructure" in the developed world.

Then you get this:
The state doesn't give a toss about you.

They don't want you to be healthy...They want you sat in a traffic jam, sucking in the other bloke's carcinogenic exhaust pipe, chugging down coffee and gobbling doughnuts whilst listening to the mainstream propaganda news broadcast every 15 minutes on the car radio. Sod that.

Hang on! What about those tax-funded adverts about living well, eating less salt and doing 30 minutes of exercise per day? Surely the government DOES care about you? In words, yes, they make a lot of nice sounding noises, and no doubt some Jewish PR company makes a tidy profit off such heath preaching ideals. But these are just words. Where are the actions? Money talks. Meaningful government investment in cycling infrastructure is silent.

This is a Jewish plot? Seriously? WTF! :evil:

http://bit.ly/qSOAiz

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If PR companies are all part of some Jewish conspiracy, how come Israel gets such bad press? I suspect the blogger wears a tinfoil hat to stop the space lizards stealing his thoughts . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Whilst the statement is clearly bonkers, I wouldn't get wound up about it. This is the internet after all. You will find some lunatics on it and you just have to uignore them and get on with your day. If you took issue with every mentalist on the internet it would be a full time occupation and your head would actually end up exploding! So don't give them the attention that these plonkers so badly crave!
  • Blimey a thread that hits Godwin's law in the subject line of the first post! That's quite impressive :-)

To be fair the blogger in question is probably a bit twitched and certainly somewhat antisemitic but I think "nazi" is probably a bit harsh.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ugh, and this person wants to be a spokesperson for "cyclists".
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Alas, I can envisage the spittle-flecked keyboard as that cream-faced loon hammered out such an odious comment. At least it lacks the wider audience than the author intends; perhaps he once had a piece rejected by the Saatchi gallery & it still rankles?
  • Don't you just love the internet 8)
  • why does writing 'jewish pr company' make the author a nazi/anitsemitic? I think you'll find in these circumstances the OP is masking an inherent racist trend in his/her own life. Indeed the internet is an odd place.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    the OP is masking an inherent racist trend in his/her own life

Is 'Jewish' a race?
  • Nothing wrong with the internat, its just all these a holes that use it.....wait a minute...
  • shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Anyone born of a Jewish mother is a Jew. Regardless of if they are practising Judaism.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    why does writing 'jewish pr company' make the author a nazi/anitsemitic? I think you'll find in these circumstances the OP is masking an inherent racist trend in his/her own life. Indeed the internet is an odd place.

Are you that author? :lol: Why the three year break?
  • gilesjuk wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Anyone born of a Jewish mother is a Jew. Regardless of if they are practising Judaism.

Poppycock! That's akin to saying anyone born to a tory voting mother is a conservative
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    gilesjuk wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Poppycock! That's akin to saying anyone born to a tory voting mother is a conservative

Yes. Quite.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notsoblue
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Is that really the question here? Why was the word used in the first place?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Ben6899 wrote:
    gilesjuk wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Yes. Quite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew
  • Tom Dean
    notsoblue wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

To let you know you can stop reading and dismiss the article.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    Ben6899 wrote:
    gilesjuk wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Yes. Quite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew
    Yes. Quite.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    Tom Dean wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Is 'Jewish' a race?

To let you know you can stop reading and dismiss the article.

Quite. I think its incredible that he thinks this is normal language to use in the type of article he posted. He's tainted everything else he's ever said on that blog.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Is everyone aware of the Fundies Say The Darndest Things website? This talk of internet loons reminded me of it. Worth a visit, make sure you're up to date with your nutjob vaccinations though!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Maybe he has an agenda against a certain high profile PR company that he doesn't want to identify directly. Its a clumsy way of making his point, but not necessarily anti-semitic. Say he wanted to have a sly dig at, oh I don't know - Guinness - and made a comment about "Irish beer companies", would that be so inflammatory to Irish people? I can see why its a sensitive area given the history, but people can be a bit quick to condemn - Nazi?!
  • Tom Dean
    BigMat wrote:
    Maybe he has an agenda against a certain high profile PR company that he doesn't want to identify directly. Its a clumsy way of making his point, but not necessarily anti-semitic. Say he wanted to have a sly dig at, oh I don't know - Guinness - and made a comment about "Irish beer companies", would that be so inflammatory to Irish people? I can see why its a sensitive area given the history, but people can be a bit quick to condemn - Nazi?!

There is a difference between 'a certain high profile PR company' and 'some jewish PR company'. One suggests a specific grievance, the other non specific antisemitism in keeping with the paranoia and conspiracy theories in the rest of the article.

Why would anyone wanting to have a dig at e.g. Guinness in an anonymous cycling blog not want to identify who they were talking about?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    bails87 wrote:
    Is everyone aware of the Fundies Say The Darndest Things website? This talk of internet loons reminded me of it. Worth a visit, make sure you're up to date with your nutjob vaccinations though!

Another one is crank dot net http://www.crank.net/

The websites it describes as "illucid" are pretty way out.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    Doesn't seem to know the difference between poultry and paltry either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • the OP is masking an inherent racist trend in his/her own life.

Whatever.
    Blimey a thread that hits Godwin's law in the subject line of the first post!

Not sure you really understand Godwin's law or Mike Godwin's purpose in formulating and spreading it. Conspiracy theories about the power of Jews to control events from behind the scenes have long been at the heart of anti-semitism.
    Rabbi Altmann and his secretary were sitting in a coffeehouse in Berlin in 1935. "Herr Altmann," said his secretary, "I notice you're reading Der Stürmer! I can't understand why. A Nazi libel sheet! Are you some kind of masochist, or, God forbid, a self-hating Jew?"

"On the contrary, Frau Epstein. When I used to read the Jewish papers, all I learned about were pogroms, riots in Palestine, and assimilation in America. But now that I read Der Stürmer, I see so much more: that the Jews control all the banks, that we dominate in the arts, and that we're on the verge of taking over the entire world. You know - it makes me feel a whole lot better!"

The title was also, of course, a reference to the more common use of Bike Nazi: http://bit.ly/oTIikS If you want authentic bike nazis, though, how about the 'spyclists' from the Hitler Youth?
    Police superintendent T Dawson informed the security service from Spalding, Lincolnshire, that: "At about 4pm on Friday the 16th July, I saw a party of seven young men cycling along the Boston to Spalding main road … These young men were dressed in shorts with jackets, each off them had what appeared to be a food can strapped on the carriers at the rear of their cycles. I feel confident they were German subjects. I did not speak to any of them."

A newspaper story from the Boston and Spalding Free Press, included in the MI5 files, recorded the party's reception at a Rotary club dinner. Other cycling parties were monitored.

The Home Office also informed MI5 it was worried about "Nazi youths foregathering with Boy Scouts". Kell wrote back that he had learned that "the Tamworth Boy Scout troup is to take part in a Hitler Jugend [Youth] camp near Hamburg".