Hardtail, new or used. £500 budget. Recommendations?

sinetwo
sinetwo Posts: 17
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

After a lot of deliberation I've decided to spend a whopping £500 (for you, that's probably nothing, for me, that's a lot considering the bikes I've owned have been 100-250 :)

Things I'd need
    Front suspension lock (needed for commuting) As light as they get (I'm guessing 13kg -/+?) Good components (brakes, shocks, shifters etc).

I've had a look at the RockRider 8.1 and it seems right up my alley. I've also tested out Pinnacle Jarra Three (Evan's own brand) and Kona Nunu.

Ideally I would *love* to buy a good used MTB, so are there any tips to good MTBs used that I should look out for? The reason I'm asking is because the RockRider is excellent value for money brand new, but I think I can get an even better deal if I buy a used MTB and get it serviced.

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-35495/

There's a new model on the horizon and these are getting a little thin on the ground, but if you can locate one it's a cracking bike for the money.
  • I've seen these go for a low price - but at halfords currently they all seem to be £500+++?

www.paulscycles.co.uk seem to be the TK MAXX of bikes - anything worth while there..? I wouldn't mind having a 2009 model for example if it meant that I got ace components...

EDIT: It also seems the RockRider has better specs..?
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
    have a look at this.it gets good write ups.....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Used will get a good deal if you know what you are doing, and can work on the bike but if you need to get it serviced, buy new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Pauls Cycles is excellent for older models, great deals and they are ok to deal with.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    check out the classifieds on here and try singletrackworld as well, you may just get a bargain S/H
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cooldad
    Problem with second hand is if forks need servicing, or new cranks needed, it can end up costing hundreds to sort out, especially if you use LBS.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks, great advice guys - I'll have a look at the RockRider 8.1 as well...

Seems to have the best specs by far in that price range, but I think I'll look around the web for older models...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would say for that budget go used (as long as you know how to check a bike yourself and do basic maintenance)...

The lad has a spesh P1 2008 (£120 on ebay) converted to nine speed (£20 - the mech and cassette needed changing anyway) with some decent Manitou air forks (£60 off ebay) running SPD's (£11 off ebay) on decent Schwalbe tyres (£20 from on-one) and uses a second set of wheels and road tyres (£35 locally) for commuting, now imagine how much better you could do on your budget!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Dunno where you live or what size you're after but I would (I did) go used as well;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Speciali ... 768wt_1116
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I bought a Trek 4300 (disc) for £500 new.

Fairly happy with it, had a few bedding in issues with brakes and gears but otherwise is a solid runner. However, knowing what i know now, i would probably avoid it. Scott do a entry level bike for the same money and the components (forks especially) look much better.

There's plenty of choice out there for that price-range. Do some research, make your mind up and go with it.
  • Sammiye
    Sammiye Posts: 61
    Currently in the same boat.

500 smackers to spend and no idea what to do with it!

Im naturally suspicious and having been a sales person for expensive action sports gear, i dont easily trust people who are trying to sell me stuff!

Currently looking at second hand as i'd rather have last years 8-900 quid bike for 500 than this years 500 quid bike with sub-par components.

Ideally i'd like a Cube LTD or Boardman Comp or a Rockhopper Pro.

Although there are some pretty good deals to be had on year or two old £1000 full suss bikes.

decision decisions!!

Any input welcome!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1. Even new shames bikes twice the price.
  • Sammiye
    Yeah i've been looking at that for sure! Quality spec. And all the reviews are good. Shame its a bit ugly! ;)
  • Sammiye wrote:
    Currently in the same boat.

500 smackers to spend and no idea what to do with it!

Im naturally suspicious and having been a sales person for expensive action sports gear, i dont easily trust people who are trying to sell me stuff!

Currently looking at second hand as i'd rather have last years 8-900 quid bike for 500 than this years 500 quid bike with sub-par components.

Ideally i'd like a Cube LTD or Boardman Comp or a Rockhopper Pro.

Although there are some pretty good deals to be had on year or two old £1000 full suss bikes.

decision decisions!!

Any input welcome!

How about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHYTE-2012-X8 ... 776wt_1219

Whyte are pretty good bikes.
  • Sammiye
    That is a beaut! Shame i'm only 5'8 so a large might be a bit too big. But definitely another one to add to the list!! Would much rather buy british.

Cheers!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ugly makes no difference to the ride ;-). Do you want a shite good looking a bike, or the best performer for your money?
  • Sammiye
    Good looks every time! :wink:
  • Sammiye
    No i see your point of course. Hopefully head out to Lakeside and a try a few.
  • i paid £539 for my kona blink. a mate reccomended it,I read lots of reviews 99% of them said it is a good bike so i bought from merlin cycles, i love it
  • Choosing a new bike is the hardest! There is always upward pressure on your budget to get the better bike, and this post is not going to help...
    3 months ago I bought a Giant XTC3 for £685. It is absolutely fantastic and has great quality kit inc Air Forks. Rutland cycles are advertising some ex demos for £630 at the moment. If you could run to it, I would wholeheartedly recommend.
  • Sammiye
    Haha yeah 600 plus is definitely not in my price range. Could stretch to 550 i suppose. there's some bargains to be had on ebay as long as im careful. but would much rather buy second hand off here.
  • Crow93
    Crow93 Posts: 6
    Save yourself £80 and get one of these from wiggle for £419

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12805657

just got mine and its brill. Was £699 when it come out and most other shops still selling it for £599
  • Carrera fury all the way! But go for the 2010 model! Btr value.
  • BABASAN
    BABASAN Posts: 28
    what about a voodoo hoodoo or for an extra £99 a specialized rockhopper there is also the cube analogue as well