Hills

Paul057
Paul057 Posts: 167
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Just wondering how to work out the % of a hill? I understand the principle (i.e. height gained/distance travelled) but is there some where i can look online to see the gradient of my local climes?

Comments

• Climb by bike is a decent site for checking your local climbs, if your climb is well known enough it should be on there along with a profile, max and average gradient
    Hope this helps
  • Paul057
    Thanks for that, they both look good and have answered my 'how steep is my local climb' question; it turns out that it's not as steep as i thought, it's only 12/13%. :?
  • Paul057
    ^^^Wrong^^^ it's 25% - that's a bit more like it. :)
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Where is it mate? I live near you and have been looking for something of similar steepness
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Bear in mind that most sites average quite a bit as they cannot cope with the kind of granularity you want. Hence, you need to just include the specific hills for the most accurate reading. A hill on its own can sometimes read as 15% but drop down to 8% when another 50 miles is added in.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    A hill on its own can sometimes read as 15% but drop down to 8% when another 50 miles is added in.

50 miles at 8%!

You'll be wanting your breathing apparatus
  • Paul057
    Phil_D wrote:
    Where is it mate? I live near you and have been looking for something of similar steepness

Here's a link to it mate; it's short but steep. Kills me but i love it

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/ ... ool/513954
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    I assume it's the Crank Road climb, if it is, it kills me as well.

Try Strava.com as well if you have a GPS

Dave
  • Paul057
    DaveL wrote:

Dave

Thats the one mate. It's evil! :twisted:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    ridewithgps is definately a bit out on some sections, I just checked one of the hills on my old commute and it said part of it was downhill which is frankly ballcocks.

Others that I've checked on there seem accurate enough though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DaveL
    :) Did it yesterday, as part of a 25 miler, had every intention of riding it a few times, but when I actually got there, once was enough.

Thursday I'm doing a 45 miler that takes in that climb, then a climb at Dalton and then Parbold Hill, well up to now I am :)

Dave
  • Paul057
    DaveL wrote:
    :) Did it yesterday, as part of a 25 miler, had every intention of riding it a few times, but when I actually got there, once was enough.

Thursday I'm doing a 45 miler that takes in that climb, then a climb at Dalton and then Parbold Hill, well up to now I am :)

Dave

I've worked out a bit of a loop around shaley brow that i'm going to tackle next time i'm feeling brave. Anything more than doing it once will be good.

Do you fancy posting that route? I don't know Dalton or Parbold and i'm always looking for new hills :)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Paul057 wrote:
    Phil_D wrote:

How do you calculate 25%?

It rises 84m in 2.1km

(84/2100)*100=4% !

[edit]

Just worked out what you've done 2100/84 = 25, so the hill is 1 in 25 not 25%!!!
  • Paul057
    schweiz wrote:
    Paul057 wrote:
    Phil_D wrote:

How do you calculate 25%?

It rises 84m in 2.1km

(84/2100)*100=4% !

[edit]

Just worked out what you've done 2100/84 = 25, so the hill is 1 in 25 not 25%!!!

Ahhh, i see. Guess i got my figures wrong. :oops:

I can't believe thats all it is; it feels really steep. If i use the link below it shows it as around 12% too.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/new

I'm even more confused than when i started :?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited September 2011
    See my point about granularity. I looked at that hill on your route yesterday and also came up with low average figures (as in, 1 mile climb and rising 280 odd feet).

Here was the simple tool I used:

http://veloroutes.org/tools/

The point is that the hill may have a section that kicks up for a very short bit and the mapping tools are not capturing it, either that or your view on a tough hill may be a little different to some other cyclists. A hill can be tough for lots of different reasons rather than just gradient. I did a couple of large lumps on Saturday (Blwch followed by the Rhigos) and the latter was tougher than the first because of a soul destroying slog into the wind on a dead straight road at the start even though the gradient was a gentle 5% ish.
  • schweiz
    To be an average of 12% over 2.1km you would have to climb 175m (575 feet). You'll have to get east of Manchester before you get climbs any where near that long and steep. The road out of Greenfield (Oldham) to Huddersfield rises 300 m in 5.1 km which is still only 5.9%.and the Snake Pass from Glossop to Sheffield (330 m in 5.7 km) is 5.8%. You'll probably find sections of those which ramp up to 12% for a few hundred metres

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=315400

Having played Rugby League in towns all along the East Lancs Road from Oldham to St Helens I doubt there's a hill that's 12% for more than a 100 metres
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It's hard to find climbs anywhere that average 12% over their entire length. Ramsbottom Rake is a good one that's not to the east of Manchester but although it has a 25% section for a hundred metres or so it only average about 10-11% over the entire climb.
  • Paul057 wrote:
    DaveL wrote:

Dave

Thats the one mate. It's evil! :twisted:

It's pure evil, but it's only 14%, theres a sign there now just after the golf club. I hate the bit on the bend with the grids. I've struggled up it on a triple (30-26), a compact (34-25) and finally acgieved my goal of getting 39-25....slowly

I've just come back from a ride now and come out of Kings Moss, I saw 2 riders heading up toward Ctank road and I thought do I don't I.....ah I chickened out and headed home.

Coincidently Harry Middleton Club are planning a 13 Cols of Lancs

70 miles they're doing...wait for it....Ashurst, Shaley Brow, Long Heyes Ln, Parbold, Bank Top, Crow Lane, Stoney Lane, Sandersons Lane, Hunters, Appley Bridge, Greetby, Delph Park Ave and Clieves
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • schweiz
    According to bikeroutetoaster:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=315429

Approx 300m at 14% or just over 100 revolutions of the cranks in 34x25!
  • DaveL
    Paul057 wrote:

I've worked out a bit of a loop around shaley brow that i'm going to tackle next time i'm feeling brave. Anything more than doing it once will be good.

Do you fancy posting that route? I don't know Dalton or Parbold and i'm always looking for new hills :)

I will sort it out later when I'm on my pc

Dave
  • I don't want to hijack the thread but do any of these mapping sites (or even Garmin Connect) have the feature to show how much of a ride is uphill and how much is downhill as a percentage?

Thanks!
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    a. buy a GARMIN
    B. make sure the display is set up to have "grade" as one of the data fields
    c. job done!
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Roobsa wrote:
    I don't want to hijack the thread but do any of these mapping sites (or even Garmin Connect) have the feature to show how much of a ride is uphill and how much is downhill as a percentage?

Thanks!

not sure, but what you really need to know is the total metres of uphill climbing in a ride, as this has a bearing on the energy expended Garmin connect and endomondo will give you this.