christmas bike

jfry94
jfry94 Posts: 392
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
right guys i need something to save up for. looking a a probable budget of 1k or there abouts
so
option 1- buy an on one 456 frame and build that up using a mix of new and second hand parts
option 2- buy a carbon 456 frame forks and wheels and slowly build the rest up through the year
option 3- buy a new giant or marin

cheers
2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
2007 Carrera Kraken

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    option 2
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One of these if you are not too big
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • An On-One Carbon 456 Frame and Rockshox Revelation RLT 140mm Fork bundles only £600.
    So option 2.
    Obviously.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • jfry94
    cheers guys i was leaning more towards the carbon and cooldad that was the exact marin i was thinking of
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • An On-One Carbon 456 Frame and Rockshox Revelation RLT 140mm Fork bundles only £600.
    So option 2.
    Obviously.

£400 for wheels, tyres, cranks, brakes, gears, and finishing kit such as bars, seatpost etc etc isn't a lot when you think about it though (unless he plans to buy it an then spend more thank the 1k... not sure if I read it properly).

Plus the package comes with 9mm forks, you ideally want 20mm on an LT hardtail.

And... I doubt that the deal is going to be still there in December some how.

Decide in December.

My money would go on the Marin though if it was in my hands.
  • Marin for me too. You're effectively double the money you have to spend getting that.
  • jfry94
    on the thoughts of the carbon i would be spending more than 1k on it but i would buy the frame forks and wheels then over the next couple of months buy the rest of the parts

on the 20mm maxle idea on one are doing the frame for 299 while merlin have 2012 revs with a 15mm thru for 297

on the marin front the attack trail looks great now for that price but it's probaly either going to be sold out or the price returned to normal :/

decision's decision's dont help there completely different bikes
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Wait till december and save then.

That way, you can have either:

1) loads of bits arrive at the same tome so you don't have useless bike bits hanging around for ages

2) Buy a full bike ie the Marin if still available or something similar when you have the cash!

Things change in 3 months! 2012 bike are starting to come out so I'd imagine a few deals will be had here and there!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    cooldad wrote:

Very much this!

Cracking bike; depends what/how you ride but if you want one do it all bike then this would be my reccomendation. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity