Was I wrong?

gbrittain
gbrittain Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Evening all,

I was cycling home from work today and was in the right hand lane of the dual carridgeway approaching a traffic light roundabout which was on red, where I wanted to turn right. I tried to cycle as far left on the lane as possible so cars could pass if they want to (I know how much they like to speed up to red lights!). Anyway, the car behind me tooted and sped past, so I stopped next to him at the lights and he told me that cyclists should be on the far left, so I told him that I needed this lane, and started filtering through the rest of the traffic.

Was I in the wrong or is this just another anti-cyclist car owner? Surely if a car/motorcyclist/cyclist needs a particular lane then they can go in it?

Gary

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Sounds like you were doing the right thing. There's a similar junction on my commute - gives me all sorts of grief.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Thanks, I thought so. I would stick to the left but it's incredibly difficult changing lanes closer to the lights!
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I think you were in the right. If anything, you should've taken primary rather than sticking to the left of the lane. It could stop people attempting close passes.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    cje wrote:
    I think you were in the right. If anything, you should've taken primary rather than sticking to the left of the lane. It could stop people attempting close passes.

Especially with cars passing on the inside as well.

I have a situation like that approaching a roundabout on my commute home; luckily for me the road layout is such that I am travelling only a couple of mph slower than the cars at that time.

The bypass is straight ahead (so the faster traffic is actually in the left hand lane - I keep to the right :? )
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Just to add to the chous, I think you were in the right. On laned roundabouts I take the lane I need to be in to get round it just as if I were in a car.

Well, in principle anyway- it's not always so easy, but the outside lane is not where you want to be if you're not taking the first exit- it's just asking for someone to cut you up.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    MrChuck wrote:
    I think you were in the right. On laned roundabouts I take the lane I need to be in to get round it just as if I were in a car.

This.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Mouth wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    I think you were in the right. On laned roundabouts I take the lane I need to be in to get round it just as if I were in a car.

This.
    Taking the lane on a right turn doesn't usually slow traffic down anyway.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You should have been in the lane you were in, if anything you should have been in primary in that lane.

Read cyclecraft.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Without seeing the layout and/or traffic conditions it's not possible to say whether you were in the correct position or not. What is certain is that the motorist was in the wrong to berrate you.

Guidance to motorists is that they should expect to see slower moving, more vulnerable road users on the near side (ie they are advised to keep left even when turning right). Guidance to slower moving, more vulnerable road users, is to take the most appropriate line to maximise your own safety and that of others.

So make of that what you will.

What you must remember is that you are likely to need a different position each time you negotiate any particluar hazard, you should be prepared to cede space in favour of safety, and always obey 'French Law' - that is give way to anyone who is likely to run into you.....

Bob
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I take the lane I need on approach to roundabouts.

In flowing traffic, if I need the right hand lane, I'll sometimes take a position closer to the right of the lane than primary (i.e. next to the central reservation), since I definitely feel safer when traffic can only pass on one side of me.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Whether you were you wrong or not is perhaps not the question you should be asking

It is no use being DEAD right. It is more important to be safe.

Perhaps the question that you should be asking is "what more could I have done (if anything) to improve my safety and lessen my chances of an accident"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Mouth wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

This.
    Taking the lane on a right turn doesn't usually slow traffic down anyway.

Definitely take the lane, if you give drivers the ability to squeeze past you, they will and this will put you in far more danger. Stop thinking about drivers who want to save valuable milliseconds off their journey and think about yourself... Ride assertively.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gbrittain wrote:
    I was cycling <snip> in the right hand lane <snip> approaching a <snip> roundabout <snip> where I wanted to turn right. I tried to cycle as far left on the lane as possible

If it had been me, I would have been between the middle and the _right side_ of the lane.

At least that's what I usually do and it works well in my circumstances.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    nation wrote:
    I take the lane I need on approach to roundabouts.

In flowing traffic, if I need the right hand lane, I'll sometimes take a position closer to the right of the lane than primary (i.e. next to the central reservation), since I definitely feel safer when traffic can only pass on one side of me.

+1 to this, I have a stretch I sometimes do where two sets of two lanses merge and split and I need to turn right a bit later (after a further single lane merges from teh left.

So I get into primary / right edge of first bit of dual, lots a shoulder checks and signals gets me across to teh far right of the 4 lane section where I can then glide along next to teh central res until I hit the lights to turn right.

Cars can undertake by cutting into the left lane a bit, they don't get held up by me and hopefully everone stays upright and happy.

Being in the centre of 2 lanes is not a good place to be.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Mouth wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

This.

+1 also - seen too many cyclists at traffic light junctions keep to the left kerb and then when the light turns green try to turn right by heading straight across the moving traffic. Almost suicidal in some cases.

Red Brompton S6L
  • Primary position in the right lane.

+1 on reading Cyclecraft and riding assertively. Claim your space, be polite and wave lots of thanks. Works far better than being aggressive and militant.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.