Romford to Hammersmith

dc7780
dc7780 Posts: 4
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hello, I'm new here but am after some advice. I'm thinking about ditching the tube and trying to bike it to work in Hammersmith from Romford. I used to ride to Canary Wharf but this is about double the distance each way. Anyone do this sort of distance daily or am I taking on too much with the traffic and the fact this means roughly 40 miles a day?

Danny

Comments

• The distance is doable but you'd have my eternal respect for achieving it through London - my idea of hell. Good on you for considering it though and hopefully somebody will be able to give you some practicle advice for this type of commute.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Tough dude, tough, I ride 41 miles each way but on the other side of London and go through Hammersmith.

The problem is time more than anything and finding a route with the least stopping. I find Hammersmith the slowest part of my journey!

I get down onto Embankment from Hammersmith and follow the river, its much quicker than going direct past Hyde Park etc.

Then superhighway CS3 appears to get your fairly close.
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15832.aspx

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... ys-map.pdf
  • Even on a bike you will find your average speed decrease a fair bit between Canary Wharf and Embankment and probably again once you get to Chelsea.
  • Thanks for the advice. It's worth a go.

Takes me roughly 1hr 30mins by train and tube at present but that's obviously at a cost of £200 a month, so it's tempting for the saving I'd make. Once I've done the A13 bit you're right, that's where I'd start slowing down, but if I can follow the river and make it quicker than going through Knightsbridge it might just pay off.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how much of the river has cycle-friendly paths from Tower Bridge to Putney? I know the stretch from Putney to Hammersmith but the bit in between I'm unsure about. Would there be a lot of veering off into roads to get round certain parts?