Specialized Hardrock Rigid

flester
flester Posts: 464
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
similar to this but not exactly the same.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... k-xc-10482
Two queries
1. I have about 4mm clearance between tyre and derailleur cage and the rear tyre when on smallest chainring. It's ideally placed to coat the chain in mud. Can this be right? I've had narrower, slicker tyres on it for ages so its never been an issue before. But I recently refitted the original Spec Enduro 2.00" tyres and have made no other changes to the setup.

2. Is it economically viable to fit a suspension fork to this? The frame geometry apparently does provide for it.

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've seen mech cages hit the tyre! if it clears it should be fine, but could try a longer front chainline ie longer BB axle.

Workable budget forks start from £50 - so if you feel it will be of benefit. Will add a lot of weight though!
  • flester
    This bike has had a clean life so far, I used it as a touring bike until ... I got a touring bike. Just surprised at the narrow clearance on the factory build. I do like the simplicity of the rigid fork, it'll probably suffice for the level of use. The nearest decent trails are about an hours drive away but it sure is fun hitting the forests trails, even if it's with my kids on their 14" wheels.

Anyone else here using rigid forks off road regularly?

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Real men do, but they post on www.retrobike.co.uk
    Seriously for easy trails rigid is fine, light and no hassle.
    If it isn't you'll soon find out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • flester
    well , REAL real men use a fixed gear as well
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/cb3.jpeg