Handlebar size.

Keith1983
Keith1983 Posts: 575
edited September 2011 in The workshop
I've got a gryphon hybrid thing and I'm sure the handlebars are too wide for me. Is there any reason why I can't just hack a bit off each end with a hacksaw? I will still be able to fir the controls on just fine. The reason I want to hack a bit off the ends is because they have bar ends on and I can't stand the look of bar ends not sitting flush with the end of the bars, otherwise I'd just have the grips and bars at the right width for me.

Comments

• no reason at all. a plumbers pipe cutter will made a nicer job than a hacksaw tho
  • I'm fully qualified with a hacksaw! I'll get on with that tonight then, I couldn't see the point if forking out for different bars when I can get the ones I have to do the job!
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Put the hacksaw down, and get longer grips.

BBB foam grips (the long "Multigrip" ones), intended for butterfly bars are good for this - you effectively get get two pairs of grips in one packet. Bar tape would work too, but it's more hassle.

When you are quite sure you know how far apart you want the controls to be, you can get the hacksaw out, if you must.