BB Care/Oiling

mattsaw
mattsaw Posts: 907
edited September 2011 in The workshop
What is the best way to care for bottom brackets without taking them apart to re-grease them reguarly?

I seem to have BB problems every 6 months or so and now have a but of a reputation at my LBS for destroying them. :oops:
Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
Strava

Comments

• depends on what type you have but most aren't serviceable so other than keeping them clean there isn't much you can do
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    depends on what type you have but most aren't serviceable so other than keeping them clean there isn't much you can do

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll be learning how to take it apart myself.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • That's why we love the old Dura-Ace Octalink ones, fully user clean/serviceable.

Water pooling in frame can cause premature BB trouble, try hanging your bike up after a drenching and see if any water comes out 'weld-gas'holes'.

You can get the tools to remove/fit a BB for about £20, every cyclist's tool box should get some. Shame that one bike runs Hollowtech, the other Square Taper, the other Miche, the other 'old-school' 2x cup and lockring...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc