Fleet Moss resurfaced

I saw in the local paper (The Craven Herald and Pioneer, folks) a week or two ago that part of the Fleet Moss road was to be resurfaced. I rode up there for the first time this weekend to find the new bit and I can confirm that there is a lovely VERY smooth section on the Gayle side. I was heading downhill and it was easy to gain plenty of speed with little effort :D

So now I have to find another excuse not to enter the Etape du Dales next year. Luckily I have a long list... :wink:

Comments

• About bleedin time, it's like a cyclocross course down there past that farm.
  • Oooh, lovely bit of smooth blacktop, just starting to get covered in mud and cow sh!te when I came down it on Wednesday, but still a lot better than most roads in the UK.

Fantastic descent in this bit of weather we are having, the tailwind had me touching 50mph, would have been more if I trusted the sheep not to jump out at me..

Just need a bit more of this resurfacing everywhere else.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Anybody doing the descent towards Hawes for the first time - be super careful on the top section!

I went flying down the first part of the descent so fast that I got big air when the road suddenly dropped away at about a 25% gradient! :shock:

Somehow, I managed to stay upright when I landed but I've heard of other riders who were not so lucky there and ended up in hospital! (Example.)
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I'm now terrified of that road! - Last time i did the Etape du Dales I got on to the rough surface at the top and suffered (for the first and hopefully last time) the "death Wobble" just as you start to hit the steep drop off: somehow I got it under control and (presumably because I was now tense) got it again a hundred or so yards further down.

Never happened since: but what a place to have it happen! Took me a while to start breathing and let go of the brakes....