Cup and cone bottom bracket

ol\'gregg
ol\'gregg Posts: 612
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. I'm rebuilding a bike for a mate of mine, it's an old 90's raleigh and has a cup and cone BB.
photo.jpg
I've removed the old one which was very rusty and the there was no grease to be found and some very dry/ rusty bearings fell out. I had a little search online for replacements and have found bearing set and replacement axle.
My question is is it straight forward refitting the parts? it seems like a straight forward bit of kit but should i look out for anything inparticular? or could i upgrade the BB to something else?
i'm not sure if he will even ride the bike but i thought it was a good learning bike to get to know some maintenance skills. I've replaced the racer style handlebars he had on there with my old giant ones and replaced the tyres.

Thanks

Andy
gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't bother with upgrades. Just bang it in with loads of grease.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with upgrades. Just bang it in with loads of grease.

Thanks :) I am doing the rebuild for free so i don't really want to spend much it was just a bike to practice on.
  • A cartridge BB would fit & they're cheap as chips. Just make sure you get the right size (68/73 is the housing size & the other number is the axle length).

If you wanted to spend more (probably not worth it right now unless the cranks are also nackered), you could get some hollowtech cranks & BB. You'll also need to get the frame faced if you go this route.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • A cartridge BB would fit & they're cheap as chips. Just make sure you get the right size (68/73 is the housing size & the other number is the axle length).

If you wanted to spend more (probably not worth it right now unless the cranks are also nackered), you could get some hollowtech cranks & BB. You'll also need to get the frame faced if you go this route.

Cheers for that. I'm not looking to spend much. The cranks are fine just the BB that's shot. The rear wheel needs replacing too as do the brakes and shifters so just looking at low end stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look in the classifieds on www.retrobike.co.uk
    Normally lots of cheap older stuff (and stupidly expensive top end old tat), often karma bits as well.
    If you post what you want some kind person might cut you a deal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Have a look in the classifieds on www.retrobike.co.uk
    Normally lots of cheap older stuff (and stupidly expensive top end old tat), often karma bits as well.
    If you post what you want some kind person might cut you a deal.

Great stuff. Thanks Cooldad :D I've also just noticed that Go Outdoors do some cheap and cheerful bike bits
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    Is that an Ever Ready Nightrider lamp bracket? And a Biopace chainset? making me feel nostalgic. Though I go back a bit further with mountainbikes http://www.google.com/images?q=muddy+fo ... group&sa=X

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is that a 1 1/8" inch threaded steerer, quill looks to fat for a 1"....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • flester wrote:
    Is that an Ever Ready Nightrider lamp bracket? And a Biopace chainset? making me feel nostalgic. Though I go back a bit further with mountainbikes http://www.google.com/images?q=muddy+fo ... group&sa=X

Yes to both.. I went with cooldad, cleaned everything up lots of grease packed it in and all went back sweet as a nut. :D