New Wheelset

Nyvo
Nyvo Posts: 25
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I need some wheels for a downhill/freeride build that I am currently doing, and I'm not sure on what to go for.

Need 20mm on the front hub, and 10mm bolt through on the back. I'm a big guy so for extra strength want to go for 36h rims and hubs, which unfortunately rules out Superstar and most of Merlins options (they only have 36h Hopes and Mavic EN521/EX721).

Options I have considered so far are:

Hope Pro 2 Evo / Mavic EX721

Goldtec Draco / Mavic EX721

Both pretty much the same price, being close to £300 - but thats without paying extra for rim tape, tubes and tyres which I also have to get.

Or, for almost half the price (£180 on CRC built up) have been considering...

DMR Revolver (2009) hubs / Mavic EX325

But Im not sure on them, mainly because I don't know what Im getting.

Another option is Halo SAS which would be about £230, but they are very heavy.

Are there any other combinations or options that I should be considering? Strength is essential! Weight... not too heavy.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Cheers in advance,
James

Comments

• I'm 98kg and run Mavic EN521 on Hope Pro 2s (32 hole) and they are superb. Under 2kg for the package (mine were built by my LBS) and still strong enough that I've never had to give them any attention.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The DMR are decent hubs - good price that. EX325 are wider than the 321/721.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I had a set of wheels built by merlin using EN521 rims on slx hubs and other than a snapped spoke which my LBS replaced i never had a single problem with them even with a clumbsy muppet rider like me crashin about on them.

I would buy again :D
  • Nyvo
    Been reading some reviews of the EX325 rims and Im not convinced they'll be strong enough for me at the moment. I'm going to go for a cheap option than the Hope hubs, as I need other parts too.

I've pretty much decided on the below setup...

DMR Revolver Hubs (20mm front/10mm back) / Sun Ringle Single Track rims 36h (these seem to have excellent reviews for being strong and light, plus they are pretty cheap.

Comes in at £183.94 for both wheels built up... good deal?

The EN521's look good too, would be an extra £4 on top for those rims instead of Single Tracks.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I have Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Mavic EN521 Rims and they are light and strong, I am a very aggressive rider and do jumps, drop offs (not massive but 8ft) and never had a problem.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wheels? Wheelset? What is the difference?

Not trying to go OT but this question just occured to me.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Nyvo
    *shrug*

Does it matter? :?
  • Nyvo
    1mancity2 wrote:
    I have Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Mavic EN521 Rims and they are light and strong, I am a very aggressive rider and do jumps, drop offs (not massive but 8ft) and never had a problem.
    Cheers, reckon I might go for the EN521, couple of people I work with have recommended them too, so seem popular.

Your Reign looks ace btw, very nice bike!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nyvo wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Cheers, reckon I might go for the EN521, couple of people I work with have recommended them too, so seem popular.

Your Reign looks ace btw, very nice bike!

Cheers! its going yellow soon (ral1016)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Nyvo wrote:
    *shrug*

Indeed it does. I need to know whether I can add wheelset to my list of pointless words, like rotor and decal.

These are matters of national importance. 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Daz555 wrote:
    Nyvo wrote:
    *shrug*

Indeed it does. I need to know whether I can add wheelset to my list of pointless words, like rotor and decal.

These are matters of national importance. 8)
    And the worst - colourway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rotors are useful though, to annoy the people who get annoyed at the americanisation of our once proud language.
    Rotor, rotor, rotor.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Nyvo
    Rotors is a great word...

Anyway, I just placed the order for my new wheels.

Went for DMR Revolver Hubs with Mavic EN521 rims... came to a total of £169.94. Very happy and excited! Another step towards being out riding again! :)

Now to decide on tyres...