Prologo saddles

winton
winton Posts: 165
edited September 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any experience of Prologo Nago saddles, especially compared to Fizik Antares? I currently have an Antares on my Cannondale SuperSix which was standard figment but after a racing incident, a new saddle is on the cards. I've also found to get a little too much perineal pressure on the Antares so was thinking of a change.

Thanks.[/i]

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    By strange quirk of fate, I have experience of exactly this scenario!

I have been searching for months for a comfortable saddle, having suffered from pressure on the perineum too. I owned the Fizik Arione and loved it for the sit bones, but suffered numbness so switched to the Versus model. Solved the perinium problem in an instant, but caused pain in the sit bones due to the ridge where the saddle cut away ran - just in the wrong place for me.

Next I tried a Fizik antares, hoping the wider platform would help the sitbones. A slight improvement, but definitely not the answer for me and still suffered numbness. I also tried the versus model of the antares, initially impressed but as before whilst it solved the numbness it added pressure in just the wrong place for me, on the sitbones.

In amongst all this I tried specialized BG saddles, but despite being measured still found the Toupe in particular very unpleasant.

At the point of desperation, I thought I'd try a completely different brand I knew nothing about. I spotted a Prologo Nago gel on ebay and picked it up for £25, thinking at the worse case scenario I could re-sell it and get the money back.

What a revelation! Complete comfort - so far on up to 3 hour rides. Initially I was concerned - the gel padding is pretty minimal and the surface area is still pretty firm. However, for me at least it has solved the puzzle. There are drawbacks - it is a pretty heavy saddle compared to the Fizik's and not exactly pretty. That is all of secondary importance of course and there are more expensive carbon versions of the same saddle available.
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. I basically spend very little time actually on my sit bones and sit quite far forward on the nose of the saddle. I was eyeing up the Nago Evo Nack as it happens so it sounds like this could be right up my street.
  • The Nago is a great saddle and really comfortable. If you race though its worth checking out the Prologo Choice seat. Minimal padding and its quite stiff, but it just works. You can also change the top cover around when matching seat - tape colours.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Winton wrote:
    Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. I basically spend very little time actually on my sit bones and sit quite far forward on the nose of the saddle. I was eyeing up the Nago Evo Nack as it happens so it sounds like this could be right up my street.

one thing to bear in mind - you and 'ajb72' are unlikely to have identical arses....
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Winton wrote:

I have a Nago Evo Nack and it is completely wonderful. So wonderful I have stuck with it even though the colour scheme no longer matches my bike! :wink:

However, I also find the Fizik Antares comfortable, so if you struggle with that one the Nago might not be the way to go. Better to pick up a cheaper Nago, perhaps, and if it works for you then splash out on the Evo Nack. Also check out the Scratch, which has a bit more padding at the nose if that's where you find yourself perched...