Mixing a left 105 STI shifter with a Tiagra right...

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited September 2011 in The workshop
Does anyone know how the 105 5600 hoods feel compared to the Tiagra 4500 ones?

I need to replace a broken left hand 4503 shifter and there's currently a good deal on a left hand 5603 shifter on ebay - about £60 posted brand new which is cheaper than I've been able to find any 4503 replacement. Just wondering if I'll get away with mixing and matching - do they feel similar enough to get away with this?
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Mr Plum wrote:

I need to replace a broken left hand 4503 shifter and there's currently a good deal on a left hand 5603 shifter on ebay - about £60 posted brand new which is cheaper than I've been able to find any 4503 replacement. Just wondering if I'll get away with mixing and matching - do they feel similar enough to get away with this?

Think they are the same hoods the sora is different but i think the rubber bits on the tiagra 4500 is interchangable with the 5600.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Mr Plum
    Torvid wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Think they are the same hoods the sora is different but i think the rubber bits on the tiagra 4500 is interchangable with the 5600.

That's good, so in theory it should feel exactly the same?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Torvid
    Yeah i don't see why they wouldn't, if it wasn't for the flight deck bit on the tiagra you would be hard pressed to tell the difference looking at them.
  • Torvid
    if your worried nip down the bike shop and have a quick feel of the one your not sure about they should have 105 on some of the bikes.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Isn't the 5600 series 105 left shifter the one that's famously unreliable?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Mr Plum
    davis wrote:

Hmm, that's not good. Just found a 6603 lever cheaper than the 5603 anyway. I've got the Ultegra 6600 SL groupset on my race bike so I'll compare the hood shapes when I get home and see if I can get away with matching a 6603 with a 4500. Unlikely, but I might do it anyway if the differences are minimal.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Torvid
    i have a sora 2200 with a 105 5600 and honestly upi can sort of feel there different but i only notice it when i'm really throwing the bike around and the 105 just feels better.
  • My CX bike currently has 6600 ultegra RH lever and 5500 (105 9 speed) LH lever.
    The 9 speed 105 is a bit "thinner" - I prefer the chunky feel of the Ultegra (which is the same profile as the DA 7800 shifters on the other CX bike)

Generally I'd prefer the same shifters L&R. If necessary buy a matching pair and sell the remaining working one off on eBay
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Mr Plum
    My CX bike currently has 6600 ultegra RH lever and 5500 (105 9 speed) LH lever.
    The 9 speed 105 is a bit "thinner" - I prefer the chunky feel of the Ultegra (which is the same profile as the DA 7800 shifters on the other CX bike)

Generally I'd prefer the same shifters L&R. If necessary buy a matching pair and sell the remaining working one off on eBay

Just bought a brand new 6603 left hand lever, £55 posted. It'll do, not ideal, but in a way it's an upgrade and cheaper than I'd be able to find a 4503 replacement. Weird.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • davis wrote:

Yes, but that's why they brought out the 5601.
  • If the 105 is listed as 5603 then it is the triple specific version that was brought out after the issues with the 5600 double / triple lever. These are much more reliable and are a safe buy.
  • I have an Ultegra 6600 LH and a Tiagra 4500 RH shifter after the LH Tiagra broke. Managed to get the Ultegra shifter for £36 from Merlin a while back.

It is slightly different in shape, but I must say I've never noticed it when riding. It's never bothered me at least, and you'd have to be looking very closely to spot the difference.