Seen anything strange on your commute?

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,377
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I'll go first (obv). Now I know it was a bit nippy first thing last Thursday, but icebergs on the Wandle?

Image620.jpg

Turns out they were actually foam from one of the industrial units up stream, but icebergs are more fun.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've got a longer more countryside commute than I've had before. I've seen a fair bit of wildlife on this route, including game birds. A week or so ago I was cycling along, when I glanced to the right to see a peacock wandering along a side road. I did a proper comedy double take, and it took me a split second to realise that this wasn't just like seeing a pheasant or a grouse, and you don't usually see peacocks wandering about. :shock:
  • No, can't say I've seen DDD in a while ;-)
    I suppose the closest I can come is the impromptu duck ponds that formed on Tooting Common lining Bedford Hill when we had the heavy rain last year :-D Complete with ducks swimming.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Seen this on the Gloucester road in Bristol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqWWPI-E94
  • rjsterry
    I followed a low loader carrying Fred Flintstone's car, Del Boy's 3-wheeler and a Batmobile up the Embankment and round Parliament Square once.

Will try and dig out picture.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Saw an old bloke throw something up in the air with both hands with wuite an exaggerated motion. It fell to the ground with a thud. It was a dead pigeon. He'd thrown it up in the air in a sort of "fly and be free" motion. He then picked up the little wicker pet basket he'd presumably carried it in and walked off. Right in the middle of Kingston, very strange.
  • Well - there was that ghost that some git on here managed to explain.

Got overtaken by a Bugatti Veyron one time (the 1st week I had my helmet cam and I *didn't* have it with me that day!) down this tiny country lane

and my mates keep seeing bobbing seals.... :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    Here we go

Image033.jpg
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I got passed by a lady on skis once in Lewisham of all places. That was on one of those snowy days a couple of years ago.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Passed a man in Camden once with a lampshade on his head. I get a feeling this is normal for Camden though :lol:

I have been the one cycling in full RM blues (Tunic, cap, trousers, sash the lot) which startled a few people :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale wrote:
    Passed a man in Camden once with a lampshade on his head.

Probably just feeling a bit light headed.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Today takes the cake

Possibly dead pedestrian on Old Kent Road near Burgess Park around 17:15, then at Lewisham bike path under the rail bridge the path was covered in about 3-4 inches of raw poo - yup sewage then got caught by a guy kitted out in full Timetrial gear with helmet, skinsuit, bike, commuting home passed Lewisham Hospital!

Got it all on my commute-o-cam too...
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Seen anything strange on your commute?

Courteous motorists...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It wasn't on the commute - but i did see something strange today.

I was outside of the office getting some fresh air (on the A1 if you can call it fresh) and this guy comes strolling along... nothing unusual about that i hear you say.

He was however wearing a pink cardigan (open) a bra (hairy chest on show) and a flowery skirt, complete with socks and shoes (men's shoes i would add).

That wasnt the strange thing....

He was pushing a wheelchair, no one was in the wheelchair but it wasn't empty.

On the contrary, the seat was occupied by a Large CRT TV (what we had before flat) and he didn't seem to have a care in the world.

Strange times indeed.

i should say that there is mental hospital just round the corner from my office and you get all sorts
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Today, I saw a Sea King land in the piazza outside my office. OK, it wasn't technically during my commute, but if I'd been about 15 mintues late it would have been. =)

choppah.jpg
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Agent57 wrote:
    Today, I saw a Sea King land in the piazza outside my office. OK, it wasn't technically during my commute, but if I'd been about 15 mintues late it would have been. =)

choppah.jpg

Do you work near a BBC office? Think I know the bloke that flew that today.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    davis wrote:

I don't work near one; I work in one. That Sea King dropped off a Blue Peter presenter this morning, 'cause they were doing something about their first show from Salford. The other presenter obviously drew the short straw, because he arrived on a jetski. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Agent57 wrote:
    davis wrote:

I don't work near one; I work in one. That Sea King dropped off a Blue Peter presenter this morning, 'cause they were doing something about their first show from Salford. The other presenter obviously drew the short straw, because he arrived on a jetski. ;)

Yep. That's the fella. Nice commute he's got, eh?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Passed a man in Camden once with a lampshade on his head. I get a feeling this is normal for Camden though Laughing

Had he seen the light?
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Damn - I was going to post my Sea King pic too but you beat me to it! You must work in Quay House? I'm next door in Bridge :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • I saw a fox this evening, crossing the road ahead of me.

Oh, strange, you say?

No, nothing strange then.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A