Commuting Towels

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Bit of a boring one this. Just started a new job. Lucky to have a small onsite gym & showers, but there are no lockers and nowhere to hang a towel to dry - either in the changing room or the office. As a result I'm having to bring in a fresh towel everyday which takes up far too much room in my bag. Does anyone know where I can source a lightweight, quick drying towel that is still large enough to ensure my modesty?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Shake & wait.
  • Sure can... Haste thee to Aldi on Thursday and pick up some Microfibre towels, they curl up small enough for me to carry one in my (rather small) backpack when needed, along with all my other stuff.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I use a microfibre towel too -- the larger the better. Dries out quickly enough hanging over the back of my chair too. Actually, haven't washed it in probably slightly too long.... Yummy.

Edit: I got something like this
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Yes, microfibre towels are very good. Send my boy off to scout camp with one just in case he gets wet. Or, heaven forbid, should have a wash.
    Roll up small, dry quickly and work well.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I use two small aldi towels, one on the floor and one to dry off, they roll up quite small but I do wash it every couple of days as microfibre tends to start smelling even though its drying off bits I have washed well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Bit of a boring one this. Just started a new job. Lucky to have a small onsite gym & showers, but there are no lockers and nowhere to hang a towel to dry - either in the changing room or the office. As a result I'm having to bring in a fresh towel everyday which takes up far too much room in my bag. Does anyone know where I can source a lightweight, quick drying towel that is still large enough to ensure my modesty?

A bit odd to have an on-site gym and showers, but no lockers. Obviously a bit early to start making demands on your new employer, but it wouldn't be an unreasonable request for them to provide some lockers.

We have a pile of towels for general use in one cupboard, and a laundry basket in another, with a regular pickup from a laundry service, which seems to work well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,124
    Bit of lateral thinking IP: in my last place there was no room for towels in lockers and you couldn't drape them over the office furniture on pain of death from the office gestapo. We just asked them to put up some coat hooks in the basement outside the showers. It was in a public area in the loading bay but nobody ever nicks used towels. Cheap and easy solution for all.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Sadly we are in serviced offices. Space is at an absolute premium and there really is no room for lockers/coathooks. Basement is full of meeting rooms etc. It's not ideal, but can be worked around I'm sure. Problem is our office is small and I don;t want to start hanging my kit everywhere. Have a solution for clothes, but not for the towel.

Thanks for suggestions, will try a microfibre travel towel.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I hang mine over my bike to dry during the day, then again my bike is stored inside so that allows me to do that.
  • Get the biggest microfibre towel you can find - seriously, they roll up so small, the biggest one is likely to be no larger than, say, 1.5 coke cans (other chemical ick posing as soft drink is available).

I personally like the Black's own-brand ones. Buy 4, and just dry them when you get home. It won't hurt them... I've used them a lot while touring - they actually dry very well attached to a pannier rack like some manner of flag! :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    maru-sports-towel-med.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/maru-aqua-dry-sports-towel/

You don't need to dry it, in-fact you shouldn't let it dry. Perfect for those days when you need to wash in a sink etc. and no need to hang it anywhere!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Micro-fibre towel hung on the bottom section of a clothes hanger, rest of cycling gear over hanger. Stick whole lot on a freestanding coat rack near my desk.
  • iPete wrote:

You don't need to dry it, in-fact you shouldn't let it dry. Perfect for those days when you need to wash in a sink etc. and no need to hang it anywhere!

Yeah, I tried one of those, and I found they don't really get you dry enough - they sort of take you from wet to clammy!

If you're not wearing slim-fitting clothes, though, that's fine.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    iPete wrote:

Yeah, I tried one of those, and I found they don't really get you dry enough - they sort of take you from wet to clammy!

And they really start minging unless you're meticulous about washing them thoroughly after each use.
  • Have ordered 3 large microfibre travel towels (buy 2 get one free) from Katmandhu. £14 each I think and look like they should pack up nice and small.

Thanks for the help folks.
  • Bit of lateral thinking - a chamois leather - they always dry best when damp. So you might smell at bit afterwards however....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Have ordered 3 large microfibre travel towels (buy 2 get one free) from Katmandhu. £14 each I think and look like they should pack up nice and small.

Thanks for the help folks.

Wow, £28 for three sounds like a bargain. Not like the Aldi ones which aren't on a three-for-two.
  • kelsen wrote:
    iPete wrote:

And they really start minging unless you're meticulous about washing them thoroughly after each use.

I went on a weekend of instructing mountain biking with the ACF and forgot my towel and ended up having to use one of these after a shower. It worked just about, I had to wring it out half way through!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I had one and it was ok, it didn't really get you that dry, your better with a hand towl and dray them each evening at home, and wash after a couple of days.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    paulus69 wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    iPete wrote:

I went on a weekend of instructing mountain biking with the ACF and forgot my towel and ended up having to use one of these after a shower. It worked just about, I had to wring it out half way through!

But that's how it works :wink:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    stay with me on this.....

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/absorbent-towel-180x54cm-id_8005932.html

Having worked somewhere with a locker shortage before, I picked up this tip. Whilst it sounds tedious, it barely takes much more time than a normal dry, but solves your problem....

1) purchase above from Decathlon (other sports shops are available...)
    2) Note comes 'with washcloth bag", which is also microfibre, and allows towel to be folded and stored in it. It is about the size of your hand.
    3) After shower, have a preliminary wipe off with the washcloth, squeezing out as you go - due to small size this is much easier than squeezing out a towel.
    4) finish off with the towel, which will then get a bit wet, but not sopping
    5) Towel therefore dries off quicker, washbag can be squeezed again, and may even be small enough to pop on a radiator/hot water pipe/near a pc fan without upsetting people....
  • The Lifeventure towels are as good as any. Cotswold, Blacks, etc., all stock them. Various sizes.
  • I support the Decathlon towels.
    I use one of their microfibre cloth towels everyday and even better I only need to wash it once every month or so - never gets nasty (at least that I notice)
  • Microfibre towels work great for me. Best bit of commuting kit.

We have showers but very few lockers. Pain in the bakookie
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire