MTB Course Report

doodoo_voodoo
doodoo_voodoo Posts: 121
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi

As I mentioned a while back, I booked myself on a MTB course, from which I have just returned.

It was a two day Intermediate Course (10 am to 4 pm each day) and was held at Glentress by Ridelines (http://www.ridelines.co.uk/). Amongst other things, we covered the following:

- Where to look when riding (I thought I knew how to do this - I didn't)
- Descending skills, including braking properly, relaxing and body position (I thought I knew how to do this - I didn't)
- Manuals (new skill learnt)
- Drop offs (new skill learnt)
- Cornering (I thought I knew how to do this - I didn't)
- Wheelies (old skill re-learnt properly!)
- Lifting the back wheel (new skill learnt)
- Technical climbing (new skill learnt)
- Bunny hops (almost did one, more practice required!)
- Pumping (new skill learnt)

Other things covered were general points and theories (a lot of which are used in the above skills) such as bike body separation, shifting body weight forwards, backwards, left and right.

For the last two/three hours we did most of the red at Glentress, with Andy watching one of us on each section and then giving individual feedback after that section.

The course was a revelation for me. I knew that I didn't have as many skills as I should, but I didn't realise how much more enjoyable the trails were when you could attack them with confidence.

Andy was an excellent tutor, explaining things in detail, and using alternative explanations and exercises when we couldn’t quite “get it”. He also ensured we had plenty of breaks, as it can be physically and mentally tiring.

If you are thinking about doing a course, I would urge you to give it a go, but make sure it’s appropriate for your current level of riding. I ‘phoned Andy at Ridelines first to discuss the courses (I was thinking about the Beginner Course) to make sure that I went on the one that was right for me.

It’s the best £120 I’ve spent on my bike…

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    It’s the best £120 I’ve spent on my bike…

I did one 2 weeks back and it is worth every penny.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • ^

Agreed. I plan going back for a "top-up" every six to tweleve months, as it's easy to slip back into the old bad habits.

Also, there's lots of other stuff that I want to learn, although I need to practice what we were taught at the weekend before I tackle anything new.
  • 1mancity2
    Same here but I am doing the advanced jumping course at Gisburn in January, gives me 3 months to practice.
  • I had a day with Bike School Scotland at Laggan Wolftrax. The weather was a bit miserable and the others booked on the course didn't show up, so I had a day of 1:1 tutition.
    The instructor, Jules, was really patient and used video playback to show where I was going right or wrong. Really made me more confident on the rocky stuff and it seems you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    Well worth every penny!!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Thanks to this and mancitys post i'm going to get a course booked this week for me and a mate
  • 1mancity2
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Thanks to this and mancitys post i'm going to get a course booked this week for me and a mate

You won't regret it :wink:
  • weeksy59 wrote:

Good on you. As 1mancity2 says, you won't regret it.
  • Hey Doodoo Voodoo - thanks for your feedback and writing up the report on the intermediate course we ran at the weekend. Its always great to hear back from folks on how they get on, get feedback on the skills covered and the pace of the course.

We've been in the tuition business for over six years and still spend time refining what we do it to make sure folks get exactly what they need from the sessions.

Our parners at http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/ came along on a course a while ago and said the same, best £120 they ever spent. You can even get a spot on a course for free if you buy a new bike from TBC.

One of our previous customers told us they'd gone through six sets of tyres trying to get more out of their cornerning, once they'd got some tuition they realised it was a technique issue. Could have saved themselves a fortune on tyres if they'd come to us first. :)

We say 'Upgrade Your Skills' not just your bike... though we still get seduced by those enticing shiny new things in boxes. Some habits you just can't break. ;):)

RIDELINES (Mountain Bike Tuition) Ltd
    http://www.ridelines.co.uk
  • 1mancity2
    RIDELINES wrote:
    We say 'Upgrade Your Skills' not just your bike... though we still get seduced by those enticing shiny new things in boxes. Some habits you just can't break. ;):)

Amen to that brother!