Had an 'off' yesterday

beatts
beatts Posts: 20
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Riding from Bedale towards Lemming bar in the pissy rain. I rode across a level crossing and as soon as the tyres hit the rail, my bike went one way and I went the other.

Thankfully the cars on both sides managed to stop in time otherwise I might have been mangled. As it was I got away with some nice cuts to my knees, ankles and elbow and a hefty amount of road rash on my hip. :(

My bike took a knock to the brake levers but otherwise was ok, even my iPhone remained in its handlebar holder!

I'm stiff as a board today and feel about 90. :D

It definitely hurts more as you get older.

Ho hum, what doesn't kill us etc.

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bad luck. Wet metal on the road is the Devil's work. :)

I've had twitches recently on manhole covers I couldn't avoid, but you were very unlucky to get taken down by a rail, as the tyre is on and off in an instant. What makes me utra cautious is a double cattle grid round our way that leaves you with both wheels on wet metal. :shock: Bolt upright and care are the orders of the day.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • both tyres on wet metal is like skiing over black ice....

keep straight, don't pedal and make sure you're going very fast!

I tried to bunnyhop a cattle grid in the rain once and i still feel lucky to have stayed on the bike! Was a stupid move and the back wheel caught the grid and slid ever so slightly.....was a bit more careful on that ride!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I find cattle grids to be awkward in that when approaching them I find it hard to decide if they are ok to cross (decent speed, as perpendicular as possible, no turning or braking and cheeks deftly raised) or it's better to walk/avoid. The majority are fine if the grid is level, grills are close together and have a flat surface. I came off one the other week though climbing a hill in Wales. The grid had round grills spaced a long way apart, was on a large angle and was very wet (hence, perfect design for roller training). Back wheel just span and off I went. Luckily just damage to my ego but I was annoyed with myself for not spotting the hazard properly and avoiding it altogether. Problem is that I hate stopping, especially when climbing but I ended stopping on that one anway, whether I liked it or not.

I have also bunny hopped grids on descents but have ceased that activity now.
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Yeah, wet metal isn't anything to take lightly. I ride round the New Forest a lot, and I still take extra care going over the cattle grids. I make sure I've got plenty of speed to get across without pedalling, and get out of the saddle to coast across. Also make sure I take a very stong primary position to stop car drivers trying to do anything silly, I don't want to be taking evasive action while on the grid.

Get back on the bike as soon as you're able and face your demons. We all come off at some point, the best thing to do is learn from it. Hope your injuries heal up good and quick :)