Super Size Me

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited September 2011 in The Crudcatcher
I know this film is a good few years old now, but I hadn't seen it before - just watching it now on television - just the raw numbers for the calories in a supersize cup of soda is horrific.

Who eats at McD or its competitors regularly? Anyone on here?

I last had a burger king in September 2010, I used to have them on odd occasions when I had a night out in London and grabbed a burger at Paddington on my way home - now, I never have cause to have fast food - I might have a burger but they are more the "gourmet" bar food kind.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• Oooh I lied - I had an A&W in February while on a road trip to another ski hill. They do a 1-2-3 dollar burger - you get a patty in a bun for a dollar or 2 patties for 2 dollars or 3 for $3 - or as we decided regular, fat, fatter burgers. I didn't enjoy it.
  • I've seen super size me, and read the book by Eric Shlosser (though they are different, they share the same title and subject matter, the book goes into a LOT more depth) ive also worked at McDonalds while i was at 6th form.

I'd say I eat fast food fairly regularly, you have to remember that the film was made before people started worrying about fast food, the book even more so, so now people have taken a interest and the fost food giants dont want to be sued for making people fat again (dont get me started on that...) the food has become much better quality, its not good for you, but then you aren't supposed to eat it every day.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    still not seen it, must look it up.
    I do find it fascinating why i love KFC, but after i've eaten it or even during it i feel so guilty. :roll:
    I cant eat a McD's without being cronically ill, i can eat their bacon roll's, but i choose not to. The wife loves the stuff :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    occasional treat

last one was a week ago tried the mcd 1955 burger load of rubbish dont try it.

always washed down with a large diet coke :P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I remember watching the film and it did put me off fast food a bit. I only have the stuff occasionally when I'm out and about and have no time to stop and feed, but I still feel a bit 'dirty' afterwards !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Bacon egg McMuffins are the saviour of hangovers.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    a bti of fast food is what separates us from the animals.

every so often, i will really fancy something a bit take away-y.

i dont see the difference between having a mcds compared to having a chinese or indian take away, (i bet there are plenty of folk on here who will have a weekly take away night) none of it is good for your body but somehow, it's good for the soul.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    (i bet there are plenty of folk on here who will have a weekly take away night) none of it is good for your body but somehow, it's good for the soul.
    Me, i forget the friday night takeaway :oops: but its never McD's curry/chinky/pizza. and your right its good for the soul, and working relations with wifey
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    in my job it's what we live on..it sucks and i hate it and quite often feel ill after eating, but at 2.30 in the morning after an 18 hour shift it's fast food or nothing!! :?
  • Because all of us, well most of us, are actuallymade of Human Being then the most nutritiously efficient food is Human Being.

That defies the you are what you eat theory but may not catch on in the near future. Market for recipie books would be enormous though.

Until quite recently they did this in Papua New Guinea but got BSE.
  • I've seen supersize me and wow, it's an eye opener.

I avoid McD like the plague, I've never liked their burgers as they're bland and all taste the same.
    At a push I do eat at BK, I prefer their burgers, especially the Angus variety, but I'd rather avoid it

TBH, I tend to steer away from all fast food outlets and my only sin is a large cod with small chips from the local chippy on a Friday night. Even then I remove the batter..

I know a guy in Bristol who's never drank a carbonated soft drink or eaten fast food in his life. Freaky huh?
  • I've seen supersize me and wow, it's an eye opener.

Even then I remove the batter..

read the book, if you thought the film was an eye opener, it will knock you into next week.

And removing the batter? what is wrong with you! Its the second best thing in the whole wide world, second only to bacons. omg battered bacons....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Very rarely - Might pop in for one of the GBP 1 cheeseburgers or one of the milkshakes if I'm really desperate/craving it for some reason, but it's only ever once a year or so....

Normally my fast food intake comprises kebab related food (which are darn fine in the Netherlands), or Indian (which is crap in NL). If i'm home in the promised land, I ll have a Pasty!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    this saturday I had a large 1955 burger meal and a couple more 1955 burgers to go with, they're only like sandwiches really and who just has one sandwich.

I love maccies, but if, while eating it, you're not aware it's packed with nuclear amounts of calories, you're pretty f*cking thick tbh
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ddraver wrote:
    . If i'm home in the promised land, I ll have a Pasty!

Pasties are the fast food of the gods - I sometimes make my own over here in Canada but its not the same.......

Tom Howard - Do you reckon the nutritional value of a Bigmac has changed much since Supersize me came out - I doubt it personally.
  • If you think about what the ingredients are, bread, lettuce, onions, gherkins, sauce (ketchup, mayo and herbs) and the burger(s). the first 4 arent exactly horror foods, the sauce will have a calorie or 2 admittedly but there isnt exactly tons of it. so that leaves the burgers, sure they used to have allsorts of of sh!te in them, conective tissue, water, fat, mechanically reclaimed stuff etc but now im pretty sure its all (decent) meat (they made a big deal of it, so imagine the fall out if they were reverting back to the old crap)

so the calorie count mightnt have changed, but the overall quality of the food has imo
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • McDonalds has changed a MASSIVE amount since Supersize Me. My Brother-in-Law worked there for a year as a paralegal and he told me a load of stuff I never knew about.

Mostly the food remains unhealthy but it really isn't as bad as it used to be. They do source higher quality ingredients now and they no longer sell supersize sizes.

I'm not saying McDonalds is something you should have everyday (in fact McDonalds themselves even say it should be enjoyed as part of a healthy, balanced diet) but it won't kill you to have it every now and again. If you enjoy it and you go cycling 4 times a week and eat healthily the rest of the time then it's totally acceptable.

And I frickin' love a cheesburger and a milkshake when I'm doing a long journey on the motorway.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Macdonalds have nothing on the Spittal of Glenshee hotel. Last time I got a burger there it was so massive, it had an extra bun halfway up. 3 fried eggs, 2 layers of bacons, slicing sausage and round sausage, haggis (or if you prefer black pudding), a couple of burgers, 2 different sorts of cheese... Couldn't really work out how to eat it so I just kind of mashed my face into it then rolled around in the wreckage. And a side order of chips obviously. And no salad.

A mate of mine got a veggieburger. It was still served with fried eggs and bacon :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Now this is a supersize burger.....

http://www.facebook.com/DamnYankeeHarro ... =1&theater

36oz Burger
    10oz Seeded Bun
    8oz Bacon
    6oz Cheese
    6oz BBQ Sauce
    4oz Lettuce/Tomato
    8oz Fries
    2oz Slaw

5lbs of food!

its at damn yankee in harrogate, if you can eat it in 30 mins its free, you get a free tshirt and your name on a wall of fame

fail and its £30 plus the shame of defeat....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • I prefer to cook my own burgers, usually of the Aberdeen Angus variety, slow cooked in a lidded frying pan, complimented with melted Blue Stilton cheese, thinly sliced tomato, lettuce and some guacamole on the bottom. I like the Branson garnishes too, all on a wholewheat bun. Beats anything McD can cobble together on their production line fast food chain.

Another fact is that McD packaging makes up over 20% of litter in American streets, so it shows how popular McDs is in the USA

TBH, give me a BK over McD any day, much better
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tom Howard wrote:
    4oz Lettuce/Tomato

This is a bit like drawing a c0ck and balls on the Mona Lisa's forehead.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i did a conference a few years back and they said that mcdonalds actually get the first choice of meat from the abbatoirs aswell :?

they get the best quality stuff!! (or did at least a few years back)