What bike to get?

Hadgfeet
Hadgfeet Posts: 17
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
So ive had and have been riding a bike for a while but I never got into the proper stuff but recently I decided to start again. The question is what bike should I get? In all honesty I would like to do downhill but because of where I live I won't be able to so im looking for a bike that I can take on the trails and go downhill as well but it can take abuse. I won't be doing anything major right away but I will learn fast and push myself to do bigger things. Im going to try to push my budget out as much as I can but ill start out at £600 - £1000 and see where things go. Open to any opinions. Cheers :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presume you mean riding down hills not Downhill?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Presume you mean riding down hills not Downhill?
    What I was getting at...
  • cooldad
    Perhaps I am slow on a Monday morning, but what were you getting at?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Hadgfeet

specifically what kind of riding are you looking at.

i think you mean trail/cross country which is also capable of doing some more technical stuff say at a trail centre

a downhill bike is a different beast all together
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Hardtail or Full Suss?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Full sus
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I take it your not going to be throwing yourself of big drops and jumps so take a look at Giant Trance x it has won MBR bike of the year and a great bike,
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    Would appear the OP is a man of few words.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Would appear the OP is a man of few words.
    No, I'd just rather speak to the people who are going to help me rather than the ones who post cocky remarks. And ill check it out cheers mate.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We need to know how big the drops and jumps are you plan to take on. Are you a confident rider, skillfull? Or need a bit of back up strength or travel in the bike incase it goes a bit wrong?

DH is a very tough sport that wrecks bikes.
  • supersonic wrote:
    We need to know how big the drops and jumps are you plan to take on. Are you a confident rider, skillfull? Or need a bit of back up strength or travel in the bike incase it goes a bit wrong?

DH is a very tough sport that wrecks bikes.

Like I said in the first post DH will be hard for me because the area doesnt have many spots so im looking for a bike that go on the trails but do the stuff downhill bikes can do too. I'd say im fairly confident but I havent been riding for a while so once I get my jumps bike back out there it should all be fun and games :D
  • cooldad
    Hefty full sus trail bike for £1000, maybe second hand. DH as well, unlikely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools