2011 Boardman Team FS

Beardface
Beardface Posts: 5,495
edited January 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Hi all,

So, I've been waiting on this bike to come into stock at my local Halfords for 3 weeks now, so decided to call about. Another store 30 minutes away had one in stock.. so I drove over this afternoon, and fettled slightly with it when I got home..

I've had a quick spin round the block, and it feels really nice, smooth and snappy :)

Excuse the pics, I'll get some better ones at some point!

The old and the new:
photo-1.jpg

Spesh saddle, FSA 710mm bars, exotic stem, carbon spacers and red lockrings added:
photo1.jpg

The medium size feels good so far, should be nice on the ups and downs :)

All spec is pretty much standard at the moment, but I've ordered a few bits (15mm hub converter kit, so my Pro2's can go on), Tyres will change to Schwalbes, pedals, post and grips will change shortly.

Also, grey is a hard colour to bling, so I'm even considering a paintjob already ;)

So there you go! Yes, it's a Boardman, yes, it's from Halfords. Get over it, it's a great bike :P

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    very nice, well done for getting your hands on one. THe whole country is pretty much sold out of them!
  • Beardface
    Tell me about it! Bit of luck really, the store had ordered one in for somebody, and the head office sent 2 instead.. so, it was just sitting there! Chuffed, and will be out and about tomorrow after work to give it a little test :)
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I've just got one on bike to work. Showing out of stock everywhere but was told every store was reserving theirs to stop other shops nicking them. Love it but second ride out some of the rear sus bolts came loose and the left crank / bottom bracket. Seat cleans up well but the grips are shocking.
  • Beardface
    Sorry to hear that Grim, hopefully I won't have the same problems!! Everything has been checked over by my good self, so I should be alright (or I only have myself to blame!) :)

I plan to fully strip and rebuild this weekend, just to be sure, as you do hear some horror stories about the build quality! Straight from the shop though, everything felt pretty tight.

Seat has gone, I'm sticking with my Spesh one for now, and new grips have been ordered, should be here tomorrow :)
  • Cheers for posting - will be interested to hear how you get on with this. Am I right in thinking the FSA Comet chainset is 3-bolt and it will be tricky (impossible?) to find a bash ring for it?
  • Beardface
    Cheers for posting - will be interested to hear how you get on with this. Am I right in thinking the FSA Comet chainset is 3-bolt and it will be tricky (impossible?) to find a bash ring for it?

Yep, sure is, and yep, sure will ;)

I'll be happy with the double on the front though, so won't need to worry for me! :)

Once I've had a proper ride on it, I'll report back as to how it's getting on etc, what I like/dislike and what's being changed over..
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I've had one since the end of April. Fark knows how I managed it!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Beardface
    Rich9 wrote:
    I've had one since the end of April. Fark knows how I managed it!

Haha, you were one of the lucky ones! :)

The Boardman now has Pro 2's on Mavic XM317 rims, so is nice and noisy :)

Pics will come soon, but am spending all available funds on getting my sleeve finished, then back to the bike, then saving for a wedding.. manic times!!
  • grim168 wrote:
    I've just got one on bike to work. Showing out of stock everywhere but was told every store was reserving theirs to stop other shops nicking them. Love it but second ride out some of the rear sus bolts came loose and the left crank / bottom bracket. Seat cleans up well but the grips are shocking.

Have the bolts worked loose on you again or anyone else had this problem?
  • flybywire
    flybywire Posts: 575
    Hope Stav won't mind my post..! I'm now the owner of the Boardman - (we did a deal where I swapped my Marin Attack Trail). How are you doing, stav? :)

I really like the boardman, it's great over singletrack everywhere and takes the rough well also. About the lower stay adjacent bb - bearings they're fine and the bolt is tight although there is some play in the chainstay at the pivot where the lower front bearings are. On inspection it's wear to the outer shims which are slightly grooved. No biggy just need replacing soon and re-greasing.
    excellent bike :D
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I called into the local branch mainly to ask what the toque settings are for these bolts. Nobody knew so they rang the technical line. Turns out the bolts are too short and some longer ones were sent through. Common problem but none of the staff knew about it.
  • Beardface
    flybywire wrote:
    Hope Stav won't mind my post..! I'm now the owner of the Boardman - (we did a deal where I swapped my Marin Attack Trail). How are you doing, stav? :)

I really like the boardman, it's great over singletrack everywhere and takes the rough well also. About the lower stay adjacent bb - bearings they're fine and the bolt is tight although there is some play in the chainstay at the pivot where the lower front bearings are. On inspection it's wear to the outer shims which are slightly grooved. No biggy just need replacing soon and re-greasing.
    excellent bike :D

Hey, I'm good thanks bud, how are you? Glad you're enjoying the Boardman, and feel free to post!

Sorry to hear about the shims though, I promise you I barely rode it, so I'd like to think it wasn't me that did that! If it is, I'm happy to cover some cost of getting them replaced!

The Marin is perfect too btw, I've moved now, so 5 mins from the Thames.. further from the Surrey Hills, but not an issue! Slightly overbiked for a pootle along the Thames though.. :lol: