DH bike for short rider..

kathg
kathg Posts: 142
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Am looking to buy either a DH or Freeride bike but am having trouble finding any to try at all! I'm 5 ft 4" and ride a 16" Orange 5 at the mo.
Anyone know any short girls riding DH and what on? I've sat on a tiny XS old Patriot but that was too small, from the research I've done Iron Horse Sunday, Scott Voltage and a Giant DH bike (can't remember model) seem to come in quite small?

Any advice/tips welcome

Kathg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's about trying themout I am afraid. Not always easy - see what the local dealers have. Some will order in demo bikes.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    The Giant Glory is available in a 16" and some others are available in XS such as the demo 8....the best advice is as above and get a store to order in to try...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    kathg wrote:
    Am looking to buy either a DH or Freeride bike
    Quite a big difference tbh depending on whether you want to ride DH or simply have a bit of fun on the descents.

Canyon's Torque is a well-specced DH bike that is probably worth taking a gamble on because otherwise there is no way you would get a proppa DH bike for < £5k. Voltage is much more freeridey and can be pedalled uphill.

Best bet IMO is to turn up at your local DH spot, get to know people and (hopefully) try a few sorted DH bikes if that's what you really want. People ride DH for fun on all kinds of bike you might be surprised at what they're riding.
  • DH demio bikes don't seem to exist. Not being able to get a DH bike for under £5k is not true. Glory, Demo, Session 8, Operator DH, Saracen Myst, Mondraker Summum, Mondraker Khaiser etc, etc,etc all well under £5k. Also a freeride bike will be more than enough for 90% of uk DH trails.

Giants sizing comes up a bit small, Have a look at the Faith, Glory or Reign X, all are very, very good bikes which are more than up to the job of UK downhill, I ride a Reign X & it's surprisingly capable. Downhill is more down to the rider than the bike.
  • "no way you would get a proppa DH bike for < £5k"

what a load of nonsense!

http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose-beef-cake-dh-2

that's less than £1,400

and kathg - I think Rose are adding a SMALL size to their 2012 line-up. Might be worth checking out. Plenty bang for ya buck there!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I have found full DH bikes a little dull to ride at anything less than 100% commitment & at the sort of speeds which will end in a long stay in hospital when it all goes wrong. Thats why I have got a 456 Summer Season & a Giant Reign X for downhill & freeride. I can have twice as much fun as I would with a 8" travel DH bike.
  • ...maybe something like this

http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose ... aid:436144

..and it comes in SMALL

good Bike Radar review too

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 8-11-41799
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hi Kath :D

Well.... As it happens I can confirm that a small framed Kona Minxy (15") is very well suited to us more petite ladies :wink:

After our little chat a few weeks ago I saw a good deal and decided to go for it :lol:

Armed with my new toy I need to find a few mountains to throw myself down, so will be in touch soon to see if you fancy joining in!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nip along to an uplift day, ask to sit on everything. All the bicycles, anyway.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Kona Operator is a low slung DH/FR machine - a small size should fit smaller riders - I swung a leg over a large and had plenty of standover - I'm 5' 6.

Most FR style bikes struggle to give you the space due to the high front end and high BB's.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Thanks for all the advice everyone... I will now become an uplift day 'bike pest', got two days coming up in Cwm Carn and Forest of Dean so should be able to ave a go on a few!
    Thanks for the heads up on the Kona Minxy Miss Notax.. Fancy meeting us at either of above days Wednesday 26th and Fri 28th Oct for some DH action? Then I can get a go on your bike...!! :D

Kathg