Sports Personality of the Year

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, I can only think of 1 outstanding candidate this year.

Any ideas who else is likely to be in the running?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeh but he's not going to get it because he doesnt play football
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spen666
    only 5 of the winners have been footballers

Your view seems to be a misconception in respect of winners

Twittering @spen_666
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    spen666 wrote:
    only 5 of the winners have been footballers

Your view seems to be a misconception in respect of winners

nope i just hate football, footballers and their sun reading supporters :evil:

i do however like the WAGs :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Wait and see if we have a surprise winner in the RWC yet....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I honestly dont believe Cavendish deserves it. He's already won everything else this year, its now time to share it with the less fortunate. :wink:

It should go to someone who doesn't win, hasn't got a gorgeous wife/girlfriend and certainly hasn't signed a contract for millions of pounds over the next few seasons.

Me!!!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Most of the British public won't have heard of him.

It will go to someone from the England cricket team I imagine.Or Gazza for offering to buy fish and chips for Raul Moat.
  • His only opposition is Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke. They'll cancel each other out as they'll spilt the golf vote AND the Irish vote.

Cavendish should win it. I posted on a thread on this topic in July after he won the Green Jersey that he wouldn't win SPOTY as the public didn't understand his achievement. They'll understand a World Championship though.

It's really in the hands of his PR people now.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    First green and Rainbow jersey winner in the same year for how long? 30 years or something?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • joelsim
    Most people won't vote for a cyclist because of all the RLJing.

[gets coat...]
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm still trying to work out how a jockey can win it... A JOCKEY?!?
  • I'm considering starting a thread in the Cake Stop forum asking where I could buy a World Champions jersey for the club run...

Too much?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    cjcp wrote:
    First green and Rainbow jersey winner in the same year for how long? 30 years or something?

Rainbow Jersey is 46 years since Tommy Simpson won it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    He (Cav) gotta be in with a shout, and Paul Scholes for lifetime achievement.

Cav has been very consistent all year and the achievements he's made are incredible. Can;t think of anyone else (in any sport) who's done nearly as much. Just hope England don't win the Egg Chasing Cup cos if they do some ugly guy with a cauliflower head will probably win it instead.

Scholes? When's the last time you saw his face in the papers for anything except football? In this day and age for someone who plays the most followed sport in the world both on and off the pitch this is an incredible feat.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Would be very well deserved.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Cav who???

:wink:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • what about Team GB as team of the year ?
  • Mouth wrote:
    He (Cav) gotta be in with a shout, and Paul Scholes for lifetime achievement.

Cav has been very consistent all year and the achievements he's made are incredible. Can;t think of anyone else (in any sport) who's done nearly as much. Just hope England don't win the Egg Chasing Cup cos if they do some ugly guy with a cauliflower head will probably win it instead.

Scholes? When's the last time you saw his face in the papers for anything except football? In this day and age for someone who plays the most followed sport in the world both on and off the pitch this is an incredible feat.

Since when was keeping your willy in your pants a quality that should earn a footballer Sports Personality. If keeping your willy in your pants bestowed honours upon people then I should be king of the world.

Mind you, if Ryan 'Mr Dull' Giggs can win Sports Personality then 'Personality' clearly is irrelevant (and football isn't a real sport anyway) so in this crazy world it seems possible that Scholes may be a shoe in for a win.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Well, the BBC website was including Cav in their main list of front runners before yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/14821123.stm
  • Joelsim wrote:

[gets coat...]

Yes but at least he was wearing his safety hemet
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It would be nice to think that quite apart from his fantastic achievements, the fact that he does actually have a personality ought to count for something in Sports Personality of the Year........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A SPOTY thread giving rise to narrow-minded opinions once again. And we are always up in arms if anyone questions the credentials of cycling.

Mark Cavendish does deserve it, but the comments about horse racing and football (and other sports) that always raise their ugly heads are very tiring.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    A SPOTY thread giving rise to narrow-minded opinions once again. And we are always up in arms if anyone questions the credentials of cycling.

Mark Cavendish does deserve it, but the comments about horse racing and football (and other sports) that always raise their ugly heads are very tiring.

You're not implying that there is a partisan crowd of cycling folk on this cycling forum are you? Who would've thought. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

You're not implying that there is a partisan crowd of cycling folk on this cycling forum are you? Who would've thought. :wink:

"Partisan" would be acceptable. "Obtuse" or "narrow-minded" are rather more difficult pills to swallow.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Joelsim wrote:

[gets coat...]

A safety helmet with a little plastic cover on it too! What was that all about and will it make me go faster if I get one?
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    redvee wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Rainbow Jersey is 46 years since Tommy Simpson won it.

Belgium’s Freddy Maertens, 30 years ago, to win both this race and the Tour de France green jersey in the same year. Thats from the BBC.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Joelsim wrote:

[gets coat...]

A safety helmet with a little plastic cover on it too! What was that all about and will it make me go faster if I get one?

That and the skin suit apparently saved him ~5watts at 46kph
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • joelsim
    I'll be very surprised (and chuffed) if he won it, but unfortunately I don't think the great unwashed would recognise him even if he cycled naked from Lands End to John O'Groats. Unless his missus accompanied him of course.

I was joking about Gazza, he won't win it this year...

Rory will win it I'm sure for losing so disastrously and then coming back to win the next one so handsomely.
  • I'm not exactly sure what the criteria is for SPOTY? We've had people in the past win it that haven't actually won anything major and we've had people who are clearly socially inept. Cav would buck the trend and actually be a likeable sports personality who has actually won the big prizes in the sport which he partakes, but I don't think enough people know him and unfortunately the voters turn it into a daft popularity contest!
  • spen666
    tempessuk wrote:
    what about Team GB as team of the year ?

Think it is more likely to be England Cricket Team.

Twittering @spen_666