zip tie on front forks

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited September 2011 in MTB general
hi i have heard of people wrapping a zip tie on the stanchons on the front forks to check sag if there isnt a rubber ring allready on there but what i want to know is does this damage or scratch the stanchons before i do this . My forks are 2011 rockshox recon TK SL solo air 120mm and the air pressuer is only a guide line as they dont give readings for all riders weights for example its says on the fork leg 160 to 180 pounds = 80 to 100 psi what if your 167 pounds how much air do you put in also how do you know if your using the full travel of the forks .

cheers for your help
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• re - zipties; The seals of modern forks are pretty tight and don't do any damage. A zip tip that you haven't wound up with a wrench won't do any more damage than the seals. Plus, it really won't move all that much, it will be pushed to the top once and there it will stay. It's fine to do.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    you only really need them to set sag once set you just remove again.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • but what happens when some one like me who weight changes very regulare one day i can be 175 pounds then aweek later be 168 pounds

• 7 pounds isnt that much of a weight fluctuation percentage wise but how does your weight change that much? Does it depend whether you have a crap before you go out?

In any case zip tie will still only move once a ride.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive run zip ties for ages (as I run Fox forks), never seen an issue.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think you are paying too much attention to sag. Set it, ride it and adjust the forks to suit the feedback you get. If you are regularly bottoming out then increase, if your forks don't get a work out when they should, reduce the pressure.
  • 7 pounds isnt that much of a weight fluctuation percentage wise but how does your weight change that much? Does it depend whether you have a crap before you go out?

i work permenent nights on a rolling rota so when i do get a weekend off i hit the bars clubs and kebab houses or curry houses hard as i ony get one weekend off every 2 months and working nights has an impact on your eating habits

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    7 pounds isnt that much of a weight fluctuation percentage wise but how does your weight change that much? Does it depend whether you have a crap before you go out?

i work permenent nights on a rolling rota so when i do get a weekend off i hit the bars clubs and kebab houses or curry houses hard as i ony get one weekend off every 2 months and working nights has an impact on your eating habits
    sounds like you work for me? :lol:
    Whats been said above, i have a cable tie on my forks, gives good indication if its set up correctly for the type of trails doing that day.
    and no, because it doesnt kepp going up and down, no damage caused.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    jon1993 wrote:
    you only really need them to set sag once set you just remove again.
    Also handy to see if you are typically using all of your travel.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • These bikes and components are designed to be ridden up and down mountains, through streams, sand and snow, crashed, jumped, skidded and generally abused in some of the most inhospitable places on the planet...

...think a cable tie on your fork leg should be fine :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Indeed. Seen the warnings and alarmist thread responses when you mention using them, but left mine on for years without any issue. Far more likely to destroy my frame first before any scratch on the fork becomes a concern. Frame is scratched to hell with chunks taken out of it, but still rides.
  • jon1993
    just make sure you dont do it too tight or get stones stuck in. if you scratch them you can lose air pressure thats my only worry with that.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jon1993 wrote:
    just make sure you dont do it too tight or get stones stuck in. if you scratch them you can lose air pressure thats my only worry with that.

It's a zip tie, not a sack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993
    just talking from experience it can happen and did to the lad i ride with
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Our fleet of rental bikes run Boxer Race forks - many of the forks have worn stanchions just above the seal due to a bit of dust and grit build up. I guess its not unreasonable to try and limit the amount of objects on your forks that could increase wear.

Personally I set my sag and then just watch the wash line to see how much travel I am using.

As for your weight fluctuations - I see. I thought maybe it was phases of the moon or something! :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mine stays at the top and never moves unless I want to use it. Nowhere near thje seals.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, that's it... Basically it'll only ever move when you either move it down or you use more travel than your usual but it won't be scraping up and down the fork leg, so no worries.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    How do you lose air pressure due to scratched stations?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's one hell of a scratch!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    diy wrote:
    How do you lose air pressure due to scratched stations?

You don't, because the air seal is on the inside of the leg.

On the subject of sag, just use the tide mark: Clean the legs, sit on bike, check sag, wipe and repeat.

Or use a twist-tie so you can remove it once you're done.
  • jon1993
    well it got stuck under it for a 53 mile very wet ride no idea how long it was in there but it really was one hell of a scratch it ran 3/4 of the length in a perfect line very very uncomon never usually happens just saying its a possibility lol
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build