elexir brake pad removal

poolboy
poolboy Posts: 69
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all, constructive tips please.

Front pads removed easily, 2 min job.

Rear I am struggling to get the retaining pin out, removed the e clip, turned pin to free off thread & now it just spins round. The pin seems to be stuck, I have tried wiggling it, pushing with a safety pin from behind, light tapping, it won't come out. It just spins round & seems to be caught with its lip.

Its an elexir 5 if that helps, pin hasn't been out before & it's only 6 mths old. It isn't caked in mud, in fact, it hasn't seen the rain.

Thanks in advance before I hit the lbs tomorrow.

Comments

• the pads are going in the bin anyway yes? give it a good squirt with WD40 or suchlike (obviously take the wheel out first to save contamination). Are you sure it's just spinning? can you see the expose threads of the pin? or have you rounded the alen key head?

if its turning freely past the threads, then if it's not coming out easily it will point to the pin being bent, as it should come out easily. Small punch and a hammer to tap it out may be needed
  • thanks, yes I think the pin is bent but it does spin by hand so can't be that bad, I haven't stripped the thread as I can see the other end spinning.

Pads are being binned so WD40 is a good idea, thanks.

I think I'll replace the pads, pin & frame thingy the pads fit into.
  • you should get a new metal clip with the pads you bought? A new pin sounds like the best idea if you think it is bent, if both ends are spinning, try applying pressure to the back of the pin whilst you undo it, might just need some encouragement to sit back on the threads if it has been overtightened at some point (factory or user tightened)