what caused a hole in my bib shorts

mtolhurst
mtolhurst Posts: 42
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

I was out cyclig today and afterwards noticed I had a hole in my shorts around the saddle area. Not really where i sit on it, guessing it was rubbing lots or something on the saddle as I moved my leg up and down.

The shorts are the "Pace Roubaix Padded 3/4 Bib Tight", they are old but I hardly use them and the saddle is a planet-X superlight, came with the bike.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAP ... eam-saddle

First guess is obviously it is rubbing, but is it just cheap bib shorts or is it the saddle is the wrong shape for my cycling style? Never happened before, very odd.

Out with the sewing machine me thinks!

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    try to match up the hole to the position on the saddle, see what might be rubbing on the shorts

otherwise check for something rough on the edge of the saddle, it could also be due to rubbing on the saddle rails or clamp
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check whether there's a seam on the saddle that runs along the side. Other common culprit is the velcro strap on a seatpack - I generally avoid seatpacks for this reason.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I generally avoid seatpacks for this reason.
    +1 for Velcro seatpacks - gone through 2 pairs of my club shorts.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    +1 the same... given them up, now everything gets stuffed into my jersey pockets.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I farted and followed through once, could this have happened to you?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    edited September 2011
    double
  • I had the same issue with a rapid boner tearing through my shorts after my first 40 mph descent. It was my boner thankfully, but it does also bring into question the possibility of a drafting riders boner piercing your bib?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    blim burn ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I think it might have been the velcro as there is nothing obviously wrong with the saddle, no sharp bit. Only dfference on this ride was I hadn't attached the saddle bag properly and the velcro was sticking out.

Sorry to disappoint you all, it wasn't a boner or follow through. I'll be careful not to let that happen though!

thanks
  • velcro eats shorts.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Dabber wrote:
    +1 the same... given them up, now everything gets stuffed into my jersey pockets.

Yep absolutely I've stopped using seat bags...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    I had that problem it was the Velcro from my saddle bag so cut it right back and it has worked.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I've had that problem in the past. As I use a Fizik saddle I now use one of their seat packs that clips on to the back of the saddle.
  • You haven't got pubes like barbed wire have you?