wrong length rear mech will it be OK?

austinsoft
austinsoft Posts: 12
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I swapped the sram x5 rear mech ( after a branch trashed it ) over to a Deore mech ( and shifter )
I presumed because it was 3 rings up front, the mech would be the long, but after fitting I noticed it looked lower to the ground, so checking up found that the sram x5 was actually a medium cage. It shifts OK, but will there be any problems with this setup?
Bike is a Carrera Kraken 09
<a>My Bike </a>

Comments

• should be fine, just ensure the chain isn't too short
  • Cheers ricardo_smooth, I fitted a new chain at the same time and set the length correctly.
    <a>My Bike </a>
  • Here is a photo just to confirm?
    chain is on middle ring at front and 5th gear at back ( counting from largest cog as 1 )
    mechCloseUp-2.jpg
    <a>My Bike </a>
  • looks fine... don't worry :)
  • OK, will stop fretting now ;-)
    <a>My Bike </a>
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Will be perfectly fine. Only problem is (dependent on riding style) you will have less clearance on the back end to negotiate rocks and other things waiting to grab the mech.
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Ah Danlube that is what I am worrying about, will probably get another when funds allow :roll:
    until then I will make sure I am up the gears a bit or in the granny when negotiating obstacles :lol:
    <a>My Bike </a>
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    should be fine, just ensure the chain isn't too short
    As the chain length is independant of the mech length, I wonder why you've said that?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Because going from a medium cage to a long cage, i understand it means that there is more mech for the chain to go through, therefore there could be a chance that the chain could be a tad too short (i'm talking 1 or 2 links max, probably 1). Just advice as some run their chain 'on the limit' of being short. If he was one of these people, it could come up v.slightly short.