Replacement head set bearings

thefatamorgana
thefatamorgana Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a boardman comp mtn bike 2nd hand, which needs the headset bearing replacing. Do I have to go to Halfords for this or are they avaialble elsewhere?

Am I not seeing something as I have taken off the stem / bar and spacers and the forks did not want to drop out of the frame. Is it likely that it's simply caked in s"£$ in there and just sticking (pass me the mallet) ?

Thanks
TFM

Comments

• Without any of this equipment, look like a trip to the LBS might be required.
    THey call it an "inside cartridge system"

Cheers
  • I just removed the forks from a bike yesterday. It had been left standing outside in all weather for a long time, and I couldn't believe how tight it was to be honest.

Plenty of WD40. Chock of wood over the top of the fork's steerer tube, a hammer, and half an hour later it was out!

I mean sometimes you get parts welded on a little with the rust, but once you get some movement, that's it. ...Didn't happen. It was reluctant all the way. I've since cleaned it all up, removed any rust, polished the steer and everything slides back on no problem.

A new headset should be available virtually anywhere. Easy enough to fit. Just make sure you get the right size. Aside from the issue you're having removing the forks, the only other problem you might experience is removing the cups. Sometimes you can pull them off with your hand....other times they may be very stubborn. I've always just got something in there and took a hammer to it when this is the case, but a bike shop will generally have access to less brutal tools if you value the frame.

I'd give it a go, and if you get stuck....bike shop.