What size are my tyres?

Pickled Pig
Pickled Pig Posts: 233
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
On my Specialized the tyres are marked 700c 23/25 and they are described in the specs as:

Specialized Roubaix Pro II, 700x23/25c, aramid bead, 120TPI, w/ Flak Jacket protection

I thought 23 or 25 was the width in mm so how can each tyre be marked with two sizes? Both the front and back are marked the same and are the same size. Any clues?

Comments

• They're physically 25c tyres, however they have the tread pattern of a 23c (basically they are not round).
  • @RoadyF
    Thanks for this - I think I understand the idea: Rolling resistance = 23mm but there is 25mm worth of suspension. Sounds a bit gimmicky but no great problem.

@Cadseen - I don't think I corner fast enough to ride off the tread - too old and too many bad experiences of watching motorbikes disappear up the road on their sides :oops:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have these tyres. They are 25mm tyres. Michelin Pro Race 25mm are faster and more pliable. Like you I got them with a new bike.
  • cadseen wrote:
    Interesting, never noticed that before.

So does that mean the edges have less tread on them so beware when banking on the corners :lol:
    I haven't found that a problem with them when compared to some 23c Conti's. One thing though if you don't keep the pressure up them do feel like they are about to come off the rim when you push them round a corner. My main complaint is dragging them up hills (they're heavy tires).