Trek 1.2 opinions

Cliveyp
Cliveyp Posts: 173
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Hey guys. Following my thread the other day about a possible move to a road bike over my ageing MTB on hybrid tyres, I dropped into the LBS the yesterday to have a chat.

Lots of options were given, obviously I discounted a new MTB (as much as I want one I don't see the point when all I've done the last 6 months since rising again it hit the local roads). I was also shown the :

Hybrid/flat bar road bikes (Specialized Sirrus Elite to be exact)
Tricross (Specialized again)
Pure road (Allez/Trek 1 series)

Now, they've given me the chance of a discount on the 2011 Trek 1.2 that seats it neatly into my budget, and I've arranged a test ride for Thursday to weigh up if it's the right thing for me, but I could do with your opinions.

I'm obviously used to the 'sit up and beg' style of an MTB more than the head down of a drop bar bike, but I get frustrated on my road rides and theres a bit of a breeze as I act like a massive air brake!! I have a C2W scheme available to me in the new tax year which I was looking to use to get something with, but frustration is getting the better of me and I really want something now......am I just rushing into it?? Would I even regret getting a road bike at this stage in the year due to the impending winter and just hack about on the MTB for another 6 months?!?

HELP??
2015 Ridley Fenix 105
2012 Cube Ltd SL
2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
2001 Giant Boulder - Sold

Comments

• As you I expanded my cycling last year and bought a Trek 1.2 road bike. Previous to that I've always just ridden off road.

I now mix and match my MTB and road rides. To be honest it's a lot easier to get out on the road bike and you don't have to drive to a forest or local hills.

By hitting the road my strength and speed have improved both on and off road. I now do one mid week ride of around 17 to 35 miles. Most weekends I also drop in one or two 35 to 60 mile rides.

As the weather has started to turn I've now dropped in more off road rides and my MTB biking has benefited from the extra miles on the road.

On the bike, I don't think you can go far wrong with a Trek 1.2 or something like a Allez.. For the money you can't really go wrong and I would recommend.

As for winter riding the roads in Britain are never that bad (unless it's snowing) so as long as you get a right kit (I use my mountain bike jackets etc) you willbe fine.

Since adding my road bike I've dropped some weight and really enjoy finding local back roads and longer routes.

You'll be surprised how far you will step on!!!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    As above, I've been riding my road bike for the last 4 months or so and took the mtb out for the first time last week. The road bike has really brought on my fitness and I found myself getting up hills on the mtb faster and usually in a bigger gear :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Invested in a Trek 1.2 myself when I was also in the "first road bike" situation. Loved the 2011 model's white and blue paint job, which, even if a bit impractical looks the business with a bit of cleaning every now and then!
    From there I haven't looked back since! Miles on the bike have aided my rugby fitness no end and the bike itself is awesome. I have never ridden any other road bike so I suppose I have no comparison, but on club rides the trek has been known to leave classier carbon featherweights standing.
    I would go for it, of course give that and the allez a try and see how they feel, but in the end the clincher for me was the fact that around my area everyone rides specialized and I quite liked the difference.
    Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it!
  • I've got the Trek 1.1 - which I think is more or less the same as the 1.2 only without the triple chain ring. 500 miles done on it now, and it's been faultless. However, I do have a few niggles with it that's more to do with me than the bike.

I'd jumped off an H/T MTB for the same reason - fed up of pedalling into the wind, and lugging all that metal about. You'll find the Trek (or Allez) a revelation of handling, effort, response, and enjoyment on the road.

However, in the wet they're rather flighty compared with a slick-shod MTB; less rubber on the deck, and aggressive geometry.

As for the winter - yes, it may sit in the garage if we get snow, but to be honest, if it's minus 10 outside, it's minus 10 outside no matter what bike you've got :wink:

What might be a plan, if the Trek is a bargain, is get the Trek, bomb round on it until January, then get something a bit more trick with the C2W scheme, and relegate the Trek to winter/rain/commuter duties with mudguards and rain tyres.

It's what I'm half-planning on doing
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I bought one of these at the weekend and from the limited miles I've done so far (about 10) it appears to be a fantastic bike for the money.

It's my first road bike, so the acceleration and speed when you get there is incredible.

Again, only limited mileage but I find the riding position comfortable (given I'm used to a carbon stumpjumper full sus mountain bike).

Get out there for a test ride...I think you'll enjoy it
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Gazmo
    Gazmo Posts: 52
    Bought one a couple of years ago. Love the geometry and handling.
    When I upgraded to carbon, I stuck it on the turbo and will use it thru the winter.

Buy it and love it
    I\'m an optimistic pessimist when it comes to hills
    cheers
    G
  • Cliveyp
    Well I got out there and tried it.......well, the 1.5 anyway, due to them not having a 1.2 in my size in stock. Also took the chance to test a Allez too. It was a very tough choice if i'm perfectly honest, but in the end the thoughts of getting a "bargain" with the Trek being reduced, over a 2012 Allez at full price, won out. Looking forward to a phone call any time after today telling me its ready to collect!

I have to admit to being well impressed with it. Being used to front suspension and lower tyre pressures, i was expecting a much harsher ride, but it didn't seem to be the case. Power transfer seemed almost instant, and I could feel my leg-power being converted to forward motion much better than on the MTB. A different position to what i've been used to over the last 20 or so years of a fairly casual riding history, but not something that seemed awkward.........can't wait!!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    So did you go with the 1.5 or just test ride that one for size etc ?
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Cliveyp
    I went with the 1.2, as the 1.5 was out of my budget. They only had the 1.5 in my size in stock so took that one for the test ride to trial the size alone.
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold