Give me 5 reasons to stay in mountain biking

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,712
edited October 2011 in MTB general
'Cos I'm giving huge thought to selling (most of) my Scandal. I'll still be able to put together a fairly nice bike if I ever want to go and get dirty, but it would free up a decent amount of cash to play with my road bikes...

The problem is mostly one of time. A mountain bike ride requires sitting in a train for at least 2 hours. A road ride doesn't. I want to race, and the mountain bike would require time investment to get my technical skills a lot better. They're already good enough to go fast on the road.

Should I sell my Scandal?

Comments

• Yes.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did that earlier this year.

Broke my bike up and sold it as bits, except the frame.

Then I really missed it so I built it back up with cheap parts from eBay.

So it wasn't a really good idea in the end.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,668
    Yep, it's easier to pull the roadie out and just hop on it, I do that when I haven't got enough time to get out and drive.

Just ask yourself do you enjoy mountain biking to do the time on the train? If you're going to miss it, don't sell it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Keep the scandal for the odd dirty weekend, and get a road bike. Best of both worlds.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Move...
  • I did exactly the same thing you are planning to do, and from experience, don't do it. I had to cycle an hour to trails, and with university, I just didn't have the time to ride as much as I wanted to. I traded my 160mm fully for a carbon road bike, and for the first month or so, things were really good. but the road riding buzz soon starting wearing off, and I still had fun, but longed for the good ole mtb trails. Buy a cheap road bike, and keep the MTB ready for when you do have time. it makes the rides worth it.
  • ploeb
    ploeb Posts: 19
    Can you not find anywhere to ride your mountain bike closer to home?
    You'll save time and the money you're spending on train tickets.
    Maybe you can find some trails within 10 miles of home, ride there, get fitter and get warmed up.
    Check some maps.
  • From personal experience I'd have to go with No keep it, I sold my marin suser & went to the road bike which is great but I ended up buying a new MTB 6 months down the line I was missing the variety you get on a mtb trail, I now ride about 50/50 between the mtb & road bike.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i had a similar conundrum 2 years back, i decided i wasnt enjoying mtbing but still enjoyed road riding, not least because i live next to a road and could just jump on my bike whenever i fancied.

im due to mave back to my old house after xmas and i think i will be back in the mood to get rid of my bikes and replace them with road bikes.

how long have you been feeling like getting rid of the mtb? will you really make enough money to do something good for your road bikes if you sell the scandal?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Eranu wrote:
    Move...
    Or get a car! (on the bet that a car takes a fraction of the time it takes to mess about with the train).

Are there really no local trails at all? Pretty much anywhere, even the flattest parts, you can at least XC about. Okay, maybe no singletrack and have to do footpaths, bridleways, cut across fields and the like. Better than tarmac though.
  • whyamihere
    I probably didn't make it all that clear, but I will still have a mountain bike, kind of. The one I use for riding to uni (Carrera Fury, actually still a damn good bike) is already ready to go if I change the tyres, and I can put gears back on it etc. I'll just be getting rid of the (relatively) expensive one. I also already have a road bike. I can't move or afford a car due to being a student, and if I ride on-road for an hour to get to some trails, I tend to hate it and wish I was on my road bike...

If I sell the parts of the Scandal I want to, I'll have enough cash for either a very nice carbon frame, or some very nice pimpy wheels, both of which I've wanted for a long, long time. If anyone checks my Endomondo page, they can see the frequency with which I ride my road bike (apart from any very short rides which will be to uni/the shops). I built the Scandal around Christmas, and it can't have left the house more than 5 times...
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Move to Sheffield and have the Peak District on your doorstep, problem solved.I read the bit about you being a student - but be a student here simples.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • there nothing at all near you? For me the nearest proper off-road stuff is a 20 minute drive, which I can't afford to do constantly. Ok, I have a 15 minute slog on my bike on the road, but the fun I can have on the university campus is amazing and makes it worth it. Just a massive playground to do as big or small stuff as you want, ok most of it is on concrete or tarmac, but just explore, you can find some absolute gems and have a great ride.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • whyamihere
    The most fun I can have on the uni campus is using the service roads as a criterium course. On a road bike...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is really no riding within 2 hours?!
  • whyamihere
    1 hour. I have to get back as well, which makes 2 hours.
  • whyamihere wrote:

I have local trails as well, but most trails I like to ride are over an hour each way away. I see it as part of the hobby tbh. Yes i'd change it so it was closer if I could, but the enjoyment I have whilst out far outweighs the travel time
  • whyamihere wrote:
    If I sell the parts of the Scandal I want to, I'll have enough cash for either a very nice carbon frame, or some very nice pimpy wheels, both of which I've wanted for a long, long time. If anyone checks my Endomondo page, they can see the frequency with which I ride my road bike (apart from any very short rides which will be to uni/the shops). I built the Scandal around Christmas, and it can't have left the house more than 5 times...

Och well if its just selling off one set of bike bits to buy more go ahead but it you dont use the Scandel why not just flog the whole thing & buy more bling for the road bike nothing so sad as a bike thats not riden.
  • Only you know what you really want to do. If getting a road bike is going to get you out more, do it. They're all bikes at the end of the day. Even for riding about town, on the roads, or whatever, it would still be an MTB for me. But that's just me. I like to throw it around a bit. Do a few little jumps. If I see a grass verge, I want to surf it... But I could still take it for a long ride out of town, or down the trails on those rare occasions...

You could always have two bikes mind.
  • supersonic
    whyamihere wrote:

I have local trails as well, but most trails I like to ride are over an hour each way away. I see it as part of the hobby tbh. Yes i'd change it so it was closer if I could, but the enjoyment I have whilst out far outweighs the travel time

Didn't know you were from Burncross, I lived there for nearly 25 years! Regualr at the Wharncliffe Arms ;-) You tried the trails at the back of Chap Park?
  • I used to go on those trails regularly as a school boy! not been on them for years tbh! Is that where you go when you're doing a local one? what are they like now? I remember 'short and sweet' being the theme unless you go up on to the coal tips.

I live on the estate across the road from The Acorn so my local is Greno wood. Would say I spend most of my time in the Pack Horse though pub wise because of Saturday football!
  • supersonic
    Yeah, am living in Ecclesfield now near the RBS - there is a path across the railway line straight onto the coal tips so usually include it in a ride. Like to cycle up to Westwood dam, and sometimes on to Wharncliffe and back through Greno Woods.

Chap park is pretty good when dry! Some scramblers have cut some very steep tracks into the heaps, and there was a huge berm and a few jumps. A path goes under Cowley Hill and links it to the old Smithy Wood site.
  • Sounds pretty cool, when I get my bike back (if you remember my post in tech it turns out the steerer to fork crown joint is shot on my Reba's so they have been sent of for warranty) we will have to sort something out either of an evening whilst we have the light or a Sunday plod!
  • supersonic
    Yeah, will do! Plod it will be, not too fit at the minute lol.
  • What ever you decide, you must not spend more time in the roadie forum and must be a vested member of the mountain bike side of BR! Cos if you do... the fairies will come and turn your limes into pineapples when you least want them too...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    1.Get some slick tyres
    2.carbon forks
    3. flat bars
    4. flip the stem
    5. consider going single speed

and turn the Scandal into a fastish road bike its what I did to my Scandal. Then if you fancy going back to off road it will take no time to turn it back.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • whyamihere
    Why would I want to turn the Scandal into a crap hybrid? I have a road bike...
  • If you need a reason to keep your mountain bike you should sell it because biking in itself is the reason.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • whyamihere

Chicks prefer mountain bikers, much more rugged than those closet gays we call roadies... :twisted:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere

Chicks prefer mountain bikers, much more rugged than those closet gays we call roadies... :twisted:
    Number of girls I've pulled due to mountain biking - 0
    Number of girls I've pulled due to shaven legs - Many