Slicks on my rims

dave1653uk
dave1653uk Posts: 259
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Just a quickie. I'm thinking of getting some slicks for road work but am unsure of which width of tyre to get for my rims. I'm running mavic 729's which I think are 35mm wide. Is there a rule that states the minimum tyre width going off the rim width? Just thought I'd ask before buying to save the hassell of trying to return them if they don't fit right.

thanks in advance
Dave

Comments

• captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    729's have a 29mm bead to bead width which is what you would go off for tyre widths, I wouldn't want to be going under 2 inches wide (maybe 1,8 inches if they come up big) on thoose rims. Also remember to get the right size tubes.

But road riding on a bike that runs those rims are you doing some steam rolling? :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Hi, I was hoping I could run some 1.5'sbut might now have to think about some 195's. I have a cube ltd race but took the wheels off as soon as I got it and replaced them with the mavics on the hope pro 2's. I love this combo and have used these rims since back when they were the d321's. I know they are relatively heavy but the strength is amazing. I love never having to worry about where I ride. I've been running this set for over 3 years now and have had them on 3 different bikes. Two of the bikes have long gone but the wheels are still running true as the day I got them. Anyway thanks for the reply I'll get on crc and see what I can find.

regards
    Dave
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Ah I was only messing, I find EX721s a bit more versile. The rule of thumb someone I can't for the life of me remember who said that for MTB wheels you want about a quarter inch minimum either side from the centre of the bead width, just so it seats properly..
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: