Cramps in my thighs help

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited September 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi recentley when I have been on longer mountain bike rides usually 20km plus. I seem to develop really bad cramps in my lower quadriceps just above my knees. Some times its one leg other times both.

Anyone else suffer from this? Any idea how to stop it happening. It is begining to ruin my rides.
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• what fuel/hydration are you taking onboard?

ETA: I used to suffer a bit on longer rides, regular isotonic hydration helped together with a bit of fuel every 20 mins or so.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    looking at your bike pics I'd say bike setups the problem. Looks as if your saddle is to low and slopped to far forward. Will put far more stain on your quads (exactly the location your on about) and means your not using your whole legs muscles. Flatten the saddle and stick the post up could work wonders.
  • No idea what bike your looking at but your talking rubbish (sorry to be an arse) but I move my post right up when I'm going up hill and down when it's gravity time. If your looking at the cube that pic was after a tumble and that bikes long gone. I also never had this issue on that bike. So that puts your theory out the window (again I'm not trying to be a wanker but it winds me up when people make assumptions not suggestions).

Re: fuel wise, I usually take water and energy bars,bananas etc....
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Er I did make a suggestion and it was only a theory only trying to help !!!! Saddle does look wrong. I do triple that distance at race speed up down and around with no problems at all ....I know my bikes are set up correctly !
    Like I said only trying to offer advise !!!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    A few tips on what to eat & drink here when I asked the same question (I got cramp in the same place as you):
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12802199
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    RE bike setup its hard to tell from pics, the seat on the Voodoo is sloping downward quite a bit? which I personally find really uncomfortable as you'd be using your legs to push the pedals but also keep your weight back on to the seat.

However thats all personal preference, but could be a factor? Also thats not an assumption thats a suggestion as turnerjohn said.

Additionally with cramp I find electrolyte tablets such as High5 energy tablets (berry flavour yum yum) really good for that on long journeys. It replenishes lost salts etc that stop cramping. Basically since using Ive never had cramp.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Possibly the most obvious thing, but probably most importantly; are you having a good old stretch of the legs before your ride, and make sure to get your breathing right on the hills. And electrolyte tabs in your camelbak are a big help!

Standing quad stretch, before and after a ride will benefit you if you do it right:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flex ... tretch.htm
  • Briggo wrote:
    RE bike setup its hard to tell from pics, the seat on the Voodoo is sloping downward quite a bit? which I personally find really uncomfortable as you'd be using your legs to push the pedals but also keep your weight back on to the seat.

However thats all personal preference, but could be a factor? Also thats not an assumption thats a suggestion as turnerjohn said.

Guys your missing the point! Turnerjohn made a straight out assumption, what should have been said is....maybe try dailing your set up, maybe try adjusting your seat etc..... they are suggestions. The pics of the bikes are of bikes I used to own, and the Voodoo is from the day I brought it home. Basically I sold it about 5wks after..............you boys just assume thats how I ride it!

I certainly dont think the seat or post height is the issue as I have previously tried various set ups.

Appreciate the exercise tips and diet ideas, personally I was thinking this might be the issue. Especially the electrolyte tabs might give them a whorl. Have been stretching before rides. I will give the exercises ago too.

cheers

Guys