Rockhopper - tough work.

gliese581d
gliese581d Posts: 26
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi

Does anyone else have the 2011 Rockhopper SL? Is it me or is it just hard work? My last mountain bike wasn't this much hard work? Climbing a hill is tough and I have to keep lowering the gears.

CJ

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's you. That's what gears are for.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What was your last bike?
  • A cheap Diamonback Sorrento.

Today I was trying to gather some pace to attack a hill (this is on a road by the way in Richmond Park). So stuck it in top gear going down hill and as soon as I hit the start of the uphill the bike just felt horrible and I mean I have never felt a bike feel so sluggish. For me the bike doesn't give good travel/roll either.

I am i am not the fittest cyclist but i am not overweight and I have cycled up hills before.
  • supersonic
    Possibly just have to get used to the gear combos, weight, and geometry of the bike. Make sure the tyres are inflated properly - or is possible they are just have more drag than you are used to.
  • Supersonic - By the amount of posts you must have a lot of experience. Would you change any parts on it?
  • supersonic
    Nothing really! Has a nice, even spec. Possibly tyres to some lighter, kevlar beaded units - this will reduce rotational weight and improve acceleration. Say:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase

Expensive, but very light. However tend to wear quite quick, and not so good in the wet.
  • Supersonic - Thanks for your advice.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I use Race King Supersonic's for my summer tyres and I found they made quite a difference to the rolling resistance. They do however pick up punctures easily from thorns due to their light weight.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Get a pressure gauge and make sure the tyres are set to the correct pressures and make sure your forks are set up properly

Made an amazing difference when I did these two things. Climbs I was struggling on before became a piece of pish overnight
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • gliese581d wrote:
    A cheap Diamonback Sorrento.

Today I was trying to gather some pace to attack a hill (this is on a road by the way in Richmond Park). So stuck it in top gear going down hill and as soon as I hit the start of the uphill the bike just felt horrible and I mean I have never felt a bike feel so sluggish. For me the bike doesn't give good travel/roll either.

I am i am not the fittest cyclist but i am not overweight and I have cycled up hills before.

Sound like you just need to get used to the bike/gears, possibly shifting your weight around a bit on and off the saddle

You really want to be selecting the correct gear before you start climbing (but this obviously comes with experience of the bike)

You don't want to be changing gears when the drivetrain is under a lot of tension - noisy, clunking gear changes are bad. Nice quiet, smooth shifts are what you're after and just keep those legs spinning evenly, no stomping down on the pedals.

The Rockhopper is a mountain climbing machine so you shouldn't be having any problems with a hill
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I had to change the rear tyre on my bike. Riding smooth tarmac was like trailing through glue. Great going down, and sometimes even up depending on the terrain, but as an all round bike, something had to be done..

Could be many reasons.
  • I have gone with some Kenda Small black 8 tyres.
  • Had my Rockhopper since June, had a Trek 4500 before and the Rockhopper wins hands down, two days after purchase rode 65 mile from Bracknell to Brighton no troubles

only things i have changed are the saddle to a Charge Spoon and replaced them horrid plastic peddles to DMR V8

Dave
  • Speaking of pedals i am looking for some Superstar nano's.
  • are you brakes rubbing? that can give your bike a very sluggish feeling. turn your bike upside down, spin the wheels. They should spin freely, with only a small bit of drag from the hub. If you can hear a rubbing noise it's probably the brakes. either take it to your lbs, or loosen the 2 bolts on the caliper of the rubbing brake, then pump the brake lever (repeatedly squeeze the lever), then squeeze the brake lever firmly while you tighten the bolts back up.
    Hardcore hardtail:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12830105

And a single speed commuter bike:
    viewtopic.php?t=12787405
  • thepha5e - No brakes are fine have checked. Gave it in today for it's free 6 week service and the guy told me that the tyres are not very good but then again it is a "mountain bike".
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If parks, trails and roads are the main use (as per Richmond Park) then some slicks might make a difference, as will making sure you have the seat up nice and high (able to have a straight leg fully extended at the bottom of the crank cycle).

But in summary the rockhopper is one of the best climbing hard tails in it budget range.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    gliese581d wrote:
    stuck it in top gear going down hill and as soon as I hit the start of the uphill the bike just felt horrible and I mean I have never felt a bike feel so sluggish.

This is your problem - you shouldnt start a hill in top gear - its guaranteed to be hard work... Its a bit like trying to pull away from the lights in your car in 5th gear, which you just wouldnt do. Change down a few gears before you get there.
  • apreading wrote:
    gliese581d wrote:
    stuck it in top gear going down hill and as soon as I hit the start of the uphill the bike just felt horrible and I mean I have never felt a bike feel so sluggish.

This is your problem - you shouldnt start a hill in top gear - its guaranteed to be hard work... Its a bit like trying to pull away from the lights in your car in 5th gear, which you just wouldnt do. Change down a few gears before you get there.
    Your analogy assumes the bike's static at the bottom of the hill, not already moving like the op stated.

If you can keep the cadence going in top gear it'll work out more energy efficient over spinning in the granny (it's my gear of choice for Putney hill). The trick is finding the fastest gear that'll get you up & picking it before you grind to a halt.

Fitting tyres with a lower rolling resistance & higher pressures will also help. I run at max pressures when I'm sticking to road or tow paths & lock my fork off. ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • I thought it was just me but since having my 2008 rockhopper frame replaced under warranty due to cracking, with a new 2011 rockhopper pro frame, I have been struggling to find my previous pace ,although all the parts are the same as I had on the earlier frame. I also have a mongoose fireball dirt jump bike and this rides far quicker even though its heavier and the geometry is wrong for xc and climbing ??
  • supersonic
    Geometry may be wrong for you, but the angles are pretty standard XC fare. The new frame is lighter than the old one, and smoother. Maybe it feels slower, as it rides smoother?
  • apreading wrote:
    gliese581d wrote:

Your analogy assumes the bike's static at the bottom of the hill, not already moving like the op stated.

If you can keep the cadence going in top gear it'll work out more energy efficient over spinning in the granny (it's my gear of choice for Putney hill). The trick is finding the fastest gear that'll get you up & picking it before you grind to a halt.

Fitting tyres with a lower rolling resistance & higher pressures will also help. I run at max pressures when I'm sticking to road or tow paths & lock my fork off. ;)

If you live actually anywhere with hills, and not "humps" then you are way off with the cadence. I don't even know a single pro rider who can attack what we call hills in Austria in the top gear.
  • 2011 is gussettless, I prefer the <2008 with.
  • seems like specialized know theres a problem with it as the 2012 frame no longer has asymmetrical seat stays....
  • I seem to be having the same problem with my bike. I'm thinking about swapping the rear tyre back to the smaller tread fast track. Also going to pump the tyres back up to a nice high pressure, see what difference it makes on the next ride.

If that doesn't work I'm going to see if its the wheels. I'll borrow some lighter ones of my dads bike. The standard ones on a hardrock and rockhopper can be rather heavy. This might be the problem (for both you and I :) ). I've heard that switching to lighter rims often removes some of this problem.
    hillbilly1 wrote:
    seems like specialized know theres a problem with it as the 2012 frame no longer has asymmetrical seat stays....

Aye, you could definitely be on to something here.