Small 'be seen' helmet mounted light: suggestions please?

Scrappaman
Scrappaman Posts: 58
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Dear all,

As the nights are closing in I am finding myself riding in the dark more frequently. Despite having a powerful 2011 Exposure Strada Mk2 light mounted on my bars, cars still tend to pull out and leave things very close.

I would like to add a small yet highly visible helmet light to my gear as I am hoping that looking in the direction of the potential pull-out-ee driver with a bright flashing light may deter them from pulling right out.

I am happy to spend up to £40 on this if the equipment is worth it. If the light would also enable me to read my cycle computer in the dark then that would help too, though being seen is most important.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could share suggestions or experience in this area!

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The knogg lights are pretty good for this, and if you're a tight arse like me you can get a pair of £2.99 Chinese rip offs on ebay:

P1010464.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

They really are very bright and I noticed a difference in the way that motorists treated me when I used them.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I'm in the same situation. (just ordered those cheap cheap lights (2 sets :D)). For my bike i'm looking for a super bright rear light for when i'm caught out, it's getting dark and potentially raining (worse case scenario). I think especially when riding around london a rear light is just as important as the front.

I've stumbled across the HOPE DISTRICT 3 rear light which i can link into my Hope LED front light although probably wouldn't use the front light for winter miles... the only problem £80+....... hmmm .

Btw i think Exposure do rear lights you can use with your front one. Check wiggle out.

Rgds
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Mr Plum wrote:

Those are very similar to what i have on my crash helmet but mine cost £2 :(

http://www.jmldirect.com/Grip-Lites-PG1800/

In a bargain bucket a few months ago.

I use them on flashing mode because i feel they catch the eye of drivers.

Reading your cycle comp would be no problem, they are excellent for getting the bike out of pitch black shed and also finding my way up the garden.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • I have the decathlon 2 x led Knog lookylike on the front : it is surprisingly bright, totally unobtruslive and lightweight up there. I've asked a couple of pals who I've seen after dark and they're both complementary about how visible I was.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/v100-grey-fr ... 38646.html

I have a smart 1/2 watt on the back

until recently I used a smart lunar 25 on a proper helmet mount up there. it was brilliant for seeing what you want and for giving drivers edging out over give ways a quick direct glance that really stopped them in their tracks - you could see it flashing off the road signs hundreds of yards in front. I came to the conclusion though that it was quite a bit OTT for a helmet light and I knew it was up there every time I tilted my head.

one upside was once a comment I heard in daylight from a gang of kids at the side of the road " hey don't do him, look he's got one of those cameras up there" dunno what I was saved from but it was a bit of a grim area.
  • Thanks very much for the replies guys - small, bright lights like those are ideal!

Thanks for the links and pictures also, I appreciate the effort. I'll look at getting something sorted this weekend.
  • I've been looking at getting some helmet mounted lights too and was looking at this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Topeak-HeadLux-Bike-Cycle-Helmet-Light-Front-and-Rear-LED-/160652230891?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item25679e80eb

But having seen those small LED one's think i'll give them a go :)
  • Completely budget-blowing but I have the L&M Vis 360 on my winter/MTB lid because I want to be seen ASAP above the many crests on my journey on singletrack roads. It's a great front & rear light set - very bright and can also be recharged by USB at work. A neighbour reckons I'm the best-lit cyclist he's ever seen.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mr Plum wrote:

Another user of the expensive £1.64 pair of lights on my helmet. I've got teo on the rear and one on the peak of my helmet.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I use an ALPKIT gamma headtorch mounted onto helmet with velcro straps. Not the smallest but has red blinking LED on the back, 0.5watt upfront which I set to flash but is bright enough as an extra pot hole spotter on the dark sections when on max.
    I am sure that brighter and smalle lights are available but I have to say that for about 12 quid I can say it is good value and I have had no reliability problems over the last 2 years with this set up.
  • Thanks again for the replies. I ended up purchasing a Topeak Headlux which is doing a great job - 360 visibility and decent enough light output to both be seen by and to read my computer by.

Also tempted by the headtorch mentioned, though having that, my topeak, and my exposure may be a bit too much lighting!

Many thanks